Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preparing Backup...

Hello all,

Since 5/26, I plug in Time Machine (WD 4T HD) into my Mac, it keeps Preparing Backup... even though it stays overnight. My last back up record is 5/14. Today(5/28) I click Backup Now again and it stays Preparing Backup... half day already.

Just want to know if it is normal or something wrong with my Mac?

PS the time machine drive has been running perfectly in the past many months....

MacBook

Posted on May 27, 2020 11:02 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

May 29, 2020 7:12 PM in response to Mike_App

Thank you folks for your recommendations. Finally the issue was resolved after PRAM reset. Here the sequence of event for sharing purpose:

1. Time Machine backup and "Preparing Backup..." from morning to night time, stopped it and go to bed
  2. Next day in the morning repeated action no.1 and only difference was to keep it overnight
  3. Early the following day in the morning still "Preparing Backup..." and Time Machine hard drive light staying on, not flickering
  4. Had a try PRAM reset, started Time Machine and Backup Now, "Preparing Backup..." for less than an hour, it showed Backing up 4.6GB of 7.9GB... something, waited for another hour and a half, it's done successfully (checked at Finder and showed the date and time of the backup file matched finishing date

I would like to share with everyone, DO NOT wait and think a miracle come up automatically on Mac. It is reliable gadget comparing to average, but be sceptical and do not rule out possible failure no matter hardwire or software with time.

Preparing Backup...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.