Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My service provider added a charge of an sms which was sent to the local network of that country claiming that Apple charges from the network provider whenever the sim the changed or activated in an iPhone overseas. Is there anything like that ?

I got international roaming activated on my number . I travelled from India to Oman. After switching on my sim , there was an automatic SMS sent to the local network provider of Oman. ( This message was not no where being shown in my phone) . In my bill , there was a outgoing message which was charged. After inquiring with my service provider in India , they informed that Apple charges from the service provider . Hence , every time you change your iPhone or switch on your iPhone internationally , this charge would be added. Hence, to avoid such kind of issues , I should use an android phone .

Kindly let me know if there is any such charge which Apple takes .

Posted on May 30, 2020 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2020 6:44 AM

What you were charged, was for an international SMS sent to the Apple Servers in the UK for the activation of your iMessage and FaceTime. That will occur anytime that you activate your phone on another network. If the network that you joined in the other country is not a supported Apple network, then you would see the charge. The charge is generally not taken if the network is Apple approved network. And, as QuickTimeKirk stated, it is not Apple charging you, it was the network.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2020 6:44 AM in response to juhimathur

What you were charged, was for an international SMS sent to the Apple Servers in the UK for the activation of your iMessage and FaceTime. That will occur anytime that you activate your phone on another network. If the network that you joined in the other country is not a supported Apple network, then you would see the charge. The charge is generally not taken if the network is Apple approved network. And, as QuickTimeKirk stated, it is not Apple charging you, it was the network.

My service provider added a charge of an sms which was sent to the local network of that country claiming that Apple charges from the network provider whenever the sim the changed or activated in an iPhone overseas. Is there anything like that ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.