Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Cinema Display 20" A1038 connected to 2018 Mac Mini

I've recently bought a new 2018 Mac Mini in the hopes that I could connect my old A1038 Cinema Display to it. The adapters I've tried so far are the Apple ADC-DVI adapter daisy chained to the Apple DVI-HDMI adapter. When I tried to hook it up to the Mac Mini, the monitor received power, but only showed a black screen (the screen was on, but only projecting black). I know there's nothing wrong with the monitor or the adapters, because I hooked the same daisy chain up to another older PC I own and the monitor worked fine. Is there and chance using a DVI-USB-C adapter would work? Or is my worst fear most likely in that the graphics card in the Mac Mini is just too new for the older monitor?

Here's a link to the monitor I own: https://everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_20.html

Posted on May 31, 2020 12:13 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 17, 2020 12:06 AM in response to jueliahh

Update: So I’ve found some leads after a call to Apple Support on what may be causing the black screen problem which unfortunately randomly cut out on my end (Sorry Apple Support guy! 😅). Here are two screenshots that may be a clue.

First up, my Mac Mini is definitely registering the old Cinema Display. However, the icon that pops up for it in my Display settings is for the later model Cinema Display. Yet it has all the native resolutions that should be required for my A1038 in the Scaled tab.

Secondly, the Cinema Display also pops up in ColorSync Utility. Yet it’s ‘Current Profile’s ID doesn’t match the one in the factory profile... instead it just shows a bunch of ‘F’s? Go figure. Do you think if I set the Current Profile path to match the Factory Profile path, the Mac mini might be able to find it? Any reason why I shouldn’t try it out? I don’t wanna mess up my display...

May 31, 2020 1:33 AM in response to jueliahh

I has a 23" Apple display from 2001 that used ADC. I had been using it for years on a 2008 Mac Pro via the DVI to ADC adapter. When I got my 2018 Mac mini I tried to use the display with a USB-C to DVI adapter but could not get any image on it. I eventually gave up and bought the 24" LG Thunderbolt 3/USB-C display that Apple sells.

I had considered HDMI to DVI but wanted to save the HDMI for my TV. Maybe the older display need DVI signals with a higher voltage than the adapters can provide, even though it was an Active adapter.

Jun 21, 2020 11:08 AM in response to jueliahh

Hi,

How are you getting on in your search for a solution?

I love your proposed setup - a classic look!

I have the A1038 Cinema Display 20" and an 'original' Apple M8661LL/B ADC-DVI which I use with my MacBook Air 11" mid 2011 running MacOS 10.12.6.

I connect using a combination of a Startech MDP2HDW and a DTECH DVI Male to HDMI Female Adapter Bi-Directional 24+1 Pin DVI-D to 19 Pin HDMI Port Converter.

The Club-3D adapter setup, suggested above by Malcolm Rayfield, doesn't work 'specifically' with my MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016; 1.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core m3) running MacOS 10.15.5- I just have a black screen on the Cinema Display although the power button lights up if you touch it.

So, if there are ANY suggestions as to the above MacBook Retina setup, I'd be pleased to hear back.

Stay safe!

Apple Cinema Display 20" A1038 connected to 2018 Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.