Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail delete key to Gmail archive

Starting about a year ago, OSX mail no longer archives to Gmail’s “all mail” when using the delete key. I’ve toggled mail settings galore but cannot seem to get anything to work correctly. Right now it creates a trash on my MacBook and places all deleted emails in there. On my iOS devices the behavior works normally.

in the past I’ve switched the deleted mailbox to none, but now this results in the emails simply staying in my inbox after being deleted.

Posted on May 31, 2020 5:32 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 2, 2020 12:36 PM in response to Evan Taubenfeld

Hi Evan Taubenfeld,

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it seems the delete key is not archiving emails. This sounds like it may be a mailbox behavior.

Change Mailbox Behaviors preferences in Mail on Mac

Please don't hesitate to let us know if the steps resolved your issue or if you need additional assistance.

Cheers.

Jun 2, 2020 2:09 PM in response to Evan Taubenfeld

I may be the None setting. But I don't know for sure.

Every incoming message to Gmail gets an Inbox label and an All Mail label. Thus, it should exist in both Inbox and Archive mailboxes in Mail, and already archived in Gmail.

When you delete (or move) a message from a mailbox, that particular label for the Mail mailbox is removed. But, any other labels remain.

Since it isn't getting moved to the Trash, maybe it is not removing the Inbox label. Is it not already in All Mail? You may have to check on Gmail web portal as I don't know how Mail manages to show a message in two mailboxes at the same time.

Gmail is not IMAP in any way, but it pretends to be. Trying to make a standards-based email client work with it without flaws is probably hopeless.

Apple mail delete key to Gmail archive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.