Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro Magic Keyboard trackpad suddenly stopped working.

The keyboard and trackpad were working fine up until a couple of hours ago. I put the iPad to charge (already in the Magic Keyboard case) and then I picked it up recently to use. All of a sudden the trackpad wasn’t responding. There was no mouse on the screen. There is no response on the screen when I click on the trackpad. The keys on the keyboard itself were working fine and were responsive, but it’s just the trackpad that isn’t working. I tried hard-resetting and soft-resetting my iPad, as well as cleaning the smart connectors on both the keyboard and the iPad, still no changed result.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 1, 2020 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 4:45 PM

I had the same problem, 2018 iPad Pro running 13.5.1 with the Magic Keyboard. Removing the both the iPad and the USB-C power cord from the keyboard (i.e. no power going to the Magic Keyboard from any source) seems to reset things enough to get it to start working again. I’ve had to do this twice in the past week, including just now.

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2020 4:45 PM in response to braegory

I had the same problem, 2018 iPad Pro running 13.5.1 with the Magic Keyboard. Removing the both the iPad and the USB-C power cord from the keyboard (i.e. no power going to the Magic Keyboard from any source) seems to reset things enough to get it to start working again. I’ve had to do this twice in the past week, including just now.

Aug 11, 2020 3:52 PM in response to braegory

Intermittently I have the same problem with the trackpad. I replaced my magic keyboard already once for it. Just before sending the old magic keyboard, it started to work. I kept the new one just if there was an issue with the old one but no cigar. I'm having the same problem with the current magic keyboard. Go figured! Hope it is a software issue that gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Nov 21, 2020 1:25 PM in response to IthinkIjustpeaked

Try restarting, and they have to both be disconnected simultaneously. iPad from keyboard and cable from keyboard at one time then plug cable back in and replace iPad. Also, try wiping down the prongs on the back that connect to the keyboard and the ones on the keyboard, particularly with WD40, if you have it. I did this before and it started working, though I believe it may have been a coincidence. If you can, in my opinion, I would return the iPad and equipment ASAP if it’s not too late and buy a Tab S7 plus. It is a premium laptop that functions as a viable replacement for a laptop and has better specs than the iPad Pro, not to mention it comes with a stylus free and back cover, and I’m sure the keyboard costs less as well. If I could, I would go back and get one of those instead. iPads mobile os limitations have prevented me from being able to use it what I partially bought it for; online classes. I cannot use the desktop version of Google Chrome and therefore cannot download extensions for Google Chrome, such as Proctorio to take exams and quizzes for my classes. I’m sure this is the same case for the Tab S7 Plus, but at least it would have better specs and WORK all the time! Goodness gracious. I can’t believe the guy I talked to at Apple had not heard of this issue. I had to cancel my Genius Bar appointment because I do not have the means to back up my iPad without paying for UPGRADED STORAGE. BECAUSE THEY’RE DISCONTINUING ITUNES! AND I CAN’T DOWNLOAD IT ON MY PC. Now everybody has to drink the Kool-Aid! Nobody wants to pay money MONTHLY to store data! GAH DAM! Stadia by Google lets you stream video games you purchase ONE TIME FOREVER. Get with the times Apple.

Sep 9, 2020 5:10 PM in response to braegory

I had the same issue it seemed to correspond with me doing a hard reset( Volume up, volume down, then power button to restart the iPad) and then i placed it on the keyboard which was plugged in and the keyboard would work but no trackpad.

I think it has something to do with the keyboard having power and then getting it from the iPad it just confuses it. This happens to me because i restart the iPad when i feel it is running slow and just want it to refresh.

Sep 11, 2020 6:24 AM in response to braegory

Recently decided to invest into an iPad Pro including the must have accessories (Apple Pencil, Magic ‘Floating’ Keyboard). The keyboard has been an awesome experience so far although I had just experienced technical problems with the trackpad. After carefully following your diagnosis, it worked (for the time being at least.); I wonder if this is a flaw in the engineering design of the $300 Magic Keyboard or a minor glitch. I only hope for a fair outcome.

Sep 23, 2020 2:06 PM in response to Richbarron3

I had the same issue with the same solution. One other observation, right before this happened, I noticed that the battery was going down on my iPad even though I had a USB-C plugged into the keyboard (not the iPad). Once I unplugged everything, the mouse came back and the power started going in the right direction.

Oct 21, 2020 2:54 PM in response to braegory

I too have the same problem, typically if I leave the iPad Pro 11 on the magnetic mount for a number of hours it seems to cause the trackpad to stop responding - but the keyboard works as normal. Taking the iPad off the mount and un-connecting the charger cable, and then re-connect the cable and re-mount the iPad, everything works as normal. Given time it will revert to the unresponsive trackpad. Very frustrating - especially considered the high price.

Nov 3, 2020 1:00 PM in response to braegory

I have had this issue repetitively, recently. I find it absolutely ridiculous to spend $1,400 on a device that has already had 3 different issues in the last 6 months.. There’s the trackpad and keyboard issue (yes, I’ve had the keyboard go out as well), the power button stopped clicking for a while when I would press it down (it started working again, lucky me), and there’s a glitch where files deleted from trash bin will reappear repeatedly until you reset the folders, or whatever. What’s even more angering is that Apple would not own up to this issue by allowing me to return the device, even though all of the issues are due to manufacture quality and not error on my end, and if I want to get these issues “fixed” (you can’t fix poor manufacturing quality), I have to forgo having the device for a week or two while it is being repaired. These devices should be sold working or should be replaced on the spot, lest customer error can be proven, be it water or drop damage. I will never be investing in Apple Products, again. R.I.P. Steve Jobs. I can finally say that I get less problems from android than I get from iOS.

iPad Pro Magic Keyboard trackpad suddenly stopped working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.