Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie keeps deleting my titles when I edit them

I make simple lyric videos for my lyric video channel. I use iMovie to accomplish this, simply laying iMovies preset titles over little segments of videos, making sure it matches up with the songs. The problem is that sometimes it randomly deletes a title when I go to shorten the length, extend the length, or move it. This only happens with the titles, and not all the time.

In further detail, I drag and drop the title I wish to use over where I want it to be. I then add in the lyrics I wish to add (Typically 3-7 words), and then I shorten or length the clip to make it match. Upon releasing the title while doing this, it just deletes it entirely. I tried duplicating the project to eliminate the bug. I copy and pasted the entire project into a new 'movie' entirely, but encountered the same issue. I tried keeping the title and moving on, but upon laying down a new title the one before it would delete no matter what. I did try replacing the style of the title. I am really just stuck, and this problem has come up multiple times. The only solution has been to wait and come back later, but that doesn't always get past the problem.

I assume I am missing something, or this is a glitch. Either way, if anyone knows what I can do, I appreciate it very much. Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 8:48 AM

Hi, ThatDarnedDuck,

It might be a corrupt preference causing the titles to randomly disappear upon adjusting their length.

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the titles work correctly.

You might try using a different font. Also, stick with Apple's fonts in case you are using a third party created font.

Update your iMovie app to most current version 10.1.14 if you have not already done so.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 8:48 AM in response to ThatDarnedDuck

Hi, ThatDarnedDuck,

It might be a corrupt preference causing the titles to randomly disappear upon adjusting their length.

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the titles work correctly.

You might try using a different font. Also, stick with Apple's fonts in case you are using a third party created font.

Update your iMovie app to most current version 10.1.14 if you have not already done so.

-- Rich

iMovie keeps deleting my titles when I edit them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.