Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it a phishing email?

I received an email that my Apple ID was used to purchase Wishbone -compare anything. I don't think the apple email address is right. How can I tell? It says if I do not recognize the purchase, so download the attachment. I don't want to download it in case it's going to hurt my computer. But how do I know if maybe it actually is someone trying to use my Apple ID? This is the email address that is seems to be coming from.

Apple‌‌ ID‌‌ ‌‌‌‌ <newdonotreply.mochimochinomi-katakuri927@uperbely-siangmalam8648794803.wishofuniversal.com>

To: noreply@update.mail-idapple.com

Bcc: (my email address is inserted here)

can anyone tell me if it's legitimate? or am I being scammed to open this attachment?

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2020 6:33 PM

• Apple would not warn of a pending account issue, giving you a deadline to fix the issue. 
  • Apple does not include document, or PDF files to download.
  • Apple would not refer to you as Dear Customer, Dear Client, or anything other than the name on file for your account.
  • Apple would not have such horrible spelling or grammar. 
  • Apple would not send a message to “Undisclosed Recipients”. 

It is a phishing attempt. Do not respond. Do not divulge any personal or financial information. You can use the address below to forward the suspect email message, as an attachment to Apple.

reportphishing@apple.com

If you provided your Apple ID and password at the bogus site, change your password immediately.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201355

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2020 6:33 PM in response to linda104

• Apple would not warn of a pending account issue, giving you a deadline to fix the issue. 
  • Apple does not include document, or PDF files to download.
  • Apple would not refer to you as Dear Customer, Dear Client, or anything other than the name on file for your account.
  • Apple would not have such horrible spelling or grammar. 
  • Apple would not send a message to “Undisclosed Recipients”. 

It is a phishing attempt. Do not respond. Do not divulge any personal or financial information. You can use the address below to forward the suspect email message, as an attachment to Apple.

reportphishing@apple.com

If you provided your Apple ID and password at the bogus site, change your password immediately.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201355

Jun 3, 2020 6:41 PM in response to linda104

The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple emails won't have poor grammar/misspellings. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information by email such as Social Security numbers, your Mother’s maiden name or full credit card numbers . 

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Jun 3, 2020 6:51 PM in response to stedman1

Thank you. I did already send it to the phishing email to report it. And I just changed my password so I am glad that I was worried. Thank you. I checked my credit card and did not see anything on there nor did I open the attachment, thank goodness. Nice to know they would not include an attachment.

Thanks you for the assistance. I feel much better now that I asked.

Linda104

Is it a phishing email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.