Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.5.1 battery drain

The battery drain from background activity in iOS 13.5.1 is horrible. Happens on several apps, currently Bloom berg and Teamsnap. Same problem on my iPad and my wife's iPhone Xs. Come on Apple, this needs to be fix now!

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 5, 2020 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2020 8:04 AM

in that case it is apps that have not been modified to run on the new OS and have runaway background usage, Viber fir example.

or a busted phone.

Nothing in 13.5.1 itself is causing this.

So to test this ( yes effort required)

• backup
  • restore to factory settings as though you were selling it - see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351
  • Set it up with your apple account
  • Check battery usage in that vanilla environment.
  • Restore from backup.

636 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2020 8:04 AM in response to sverzijl

in that case it is apps that have not been modified to run on the new OS and have runaway background usage, Viber fir example.

or a busted phone.

Nothing in 13.5.1 itself is causing this.

So to test this ( yes effort required)

• backup
  • restore to factory settings as though you were selling it - see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351
  • Set it up with your apple account
  • Check battery usage in that vanilla environment.
  • Restore from backup.

Jun 8, 2020 6:37 AM in response to sverzijl

Just tested with 2 iPads. 1 iPad (on the left) is iPad 6th gen with 13.5.1. The other iPad is iPad Air 2 with 13.4.1.

Both few mins after reboot, Bluetooth disabled, Background refresh turned off. All apps closed apart from Sysstat lite.

This is just a snapshot of course, but the CPU usage of the 13.5.1 iPad was 40-70% all the time, the 13.4.1 CPU usage was between 6-12% all the time.

Jun 8, 2020 7:10 AM in response to TexThomas

I have the same issue here!

iPad Pro 11",

Model MTXN2LZ/A

Updated to iOS 13.5.1 a couple of days ago. Battery goes from 100% to 80% even when turned off overnight.

Hope there is a fix soon, it doesn't make sense to have it plugged to the AC all day long, I am a graphic designer and use Procreate heavily which will make the issue even worst if I am not close to the AC.

Jun 15, 2020 8:21 AM in response to LD150

I'm a developer, and I can confirm that this problem is from iOS itself, not about any app else.

No matter what you did, factory reset, reboot, reinstall all the apps, it's just not working.

And it's absolutely not about any hardware issue.

iOS tends to stop running anything if the app is in the background.

That's why it needs a background permission.

Before Apple introduced the BGScheduleTask, there's no long running task can be running in the background.

We only have a few seconds(maybe 30s? never use it before.) to do the jobs.

If you never explicitly tell iOS you need to run background tasks, then all of your thread will be stopped after 3 seconds.

Nothing will be running in the background.

If so, why is there so many apps draining battery?

Just like my app, I didn't do any background tasks at all, but it still shows that my app is running in the background for several hours, that's insane.

To figure it out, I put a `print` in a looper on a worker thread. Guess what? It stopped printing after 3 seconds.

So nothing is really running in the background.

But the weird thing is that it did show some activities in the Time Profiler.

It needs time to look into it.

And Apple should be responsible for this issue.

I also tried the way iCulture did. But the traitCollectionDidChange never get called in my case.

Jun 9, 2020 3:45 AM in response to durancd

Rather aggressive response.

OK so you need to find out why your setup is burning battery and most peoples are not.

Apps is a good place to start. You probably have the same set on all your phones

Prepare your phone as if you were selling it. Set it up totally vanilla with just your apple ID and nothing else.

Is it still a burner?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Jun 17, 2020 2:37 PM in response to shabanonda

Thank you. Your post and johnmorellos points to certain apps and settings may be incompatible with 13.5

Now think about this.

A developer called Kimi claims apps are running in background when they have no right to be. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251435983?answerId=252860389022#252860389022

The covid API's have been introduced to allow Covid19 track and trace apps, and the biggest demand on these apps is that they must work at all times in the background.

Any connection? Just thinking out loud.

Jun 18, 2020 12:20 AM in response to LD150

I know nothing about the cvoid API.

But there's a `BGAppRefreshTask` over there to accomplish this kind of task which is able to make the app up-to-date.

It's introduced by Apple from iOS 13.

Which needs Background Mode capability and claim your task name explicitly in the Info.plist.

We don't really need our app to run in the background continuously to make it up-to-date.

In fact, the `polling` is too old to use it nowadays.

Nothing is needed to work 24/7 in the background.

And what connection?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251435983?answerId=252872517022#252872517022

Are you saying Apple is letting all the apps to run in the background without limitations just to let them fetching the cvoid data?

Event if most of the apps are not doing this task?

If so, please let us opt-out of this new behavior.

Jun 23, 2020 12:15 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

My battery issues since upgrading to IOS 13.5.1 just keeps getting worse. Almost 2 weeks later after the dreaded update I have done literally every troubleshooting step possible including:

1. restore iOS via DFU mode (multiple times)!!
  2. restore from backup after reloading firmware as well as setting up as a new phone (twice?
  3. battery calibration
  4. downgrade to 13.5
  5. back to 13.5.1
  6. rinse, recycle and repeat
  7. currently on day 3 of a super clean fresh DFU mode iOS restore and setup as a new phone

the good news is well, battery is at least charging to around 93% overnight with battery optimization turned off, super frustrating. If battery optimization turned on I only get 80%....

I now have yet a new battery issue, I get a random battery drop around 55% remaining battery, drops from 55% to 35% in a matter of minutes. I have already had Apple run Diagnostics (instore and during a chat) and they don’t pick up any issues and won’t repair/replace, I give up :(

any ideas what to do here? Don’t say restore the firmware...

before iOS 13.5.1 I have never had any issues like this on my iPhone X or iPhone 11 Pro.

Jun 30, 2020 12:12 PM in response to shabanonda

I tried to switch off dark mode and on the iPhone seems to work and there is no battery use during charging like it happened before.

Thanks for the suggestion shabanonda .

The iPad seems to behave a little better but I still need to force restart it if I want to charge it .

What's upsetting are all the apps working in the background even if it's been disabled

Hopefully they will fix it , going to leave a feedback https://www.apple.com/feedback

Jul 6, 2020 1:58 AM in response to letsvolley

".... I will turn off WiFi and it will turn back on by itself. Tried to reset network and it failed twice...WiFi settings were still there..."

That is a mess! If you turn off wifi in Settings it should stay off!

(if you turn it off in control center it is just til tomorrow but you can change your local wifi connection to not auto-join)

You could start your own thread

or...

...the next step would be to restore your device, and setup the device without restoring a backup, to see if the issue is replicated. I would first make sure you have a backup so your data is saved.

Here is a guide for those steps:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

and see how it goes with the wifi

If no improvement send it for repair or replace

If it works well restore from backup but be prepared to wipe again without restore from backup.

iOS 13.5.1 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.