You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2017 Keys falling off

My macbook pro 13-inch, 2017, has keyboard issues and currently has 6 keys that have fallen off the keyboard (butterfly) and the makes it almost impossible to work with it. It was bought in April 2018, so it is now off the warranty period. Went to an authorized service provider and they are now saying I have to pay for the repair and that the issue is not covered by the keyboard repair service program. Anyone having similar issues? any recommendation how can I get my MacBook repaired free of charge?. It seems unacceptable they are not willing to repair a keyboard they know is bad designed and that they had to discard in the new MBP models. Please advise. Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 2:41 PM

Hi MichelleT18, thanks for your response.

I am aware of the Keyboard Service program and I asked the service provider about it. Additional to listed issues described on the service program, my keyboard presents some keys that have fallen off, they looks good, but they just don't keep attached to the keyboard. My understanding is this is also due to the crappy butterfly keyboard design. I have already a case opened with Apple about it but they are just arguing that is no covered by the keyboard service program and they are not willing to repair for free. That's is why I am asking for help here to see if any other member of the community has had similar issues and what can I do to get Apple to respond for the repair.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2020 2:41 PM in response to MichelleT18

Hi MichelleT18, thanks for your response.

I am aware of the Keyboard Service program and I asked the service provider about it. Additional to listed issues described on the service program, my keyboard presents some keys that have fallen off, they looks good, but they just don't keep attached to the keyboard. My understanding is this is also due to the crappy butterfly keyboard design. I have already a case opened with Apple about it but they are just arguing that is no covered by the keyboard service program and they are not willing to repair for free. That's is why I am asking for help here to see if any other member of the community has had similar issues and what can I do to get Apple to respond for the repair.

Jun 11, 2020 2:10 PM in response to jotero25

Hi jotero25,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are experiencing issues with your keyboard on your MacBook Pro, but you ran into issues receiving service while visiting with a service provider. I'd like to assist.

Based on the information found here: Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro - Apple Support, you may have an eligible model that qualifies for this program, if deemed related. There is a note in this article, which mentions if the Mac has any damage which impairs service, there may be a cost associated with the repair. Was this maybe the case during your visit? Did they advise you there were other damages?

In this situation, it would be best to reach out to Apple directly, to discuss the status of your Mac. You can use this link to connect: Contact - Official Apple Support.

Best regards.

MBP 2017 Keys falling off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.