Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iPhone SE 2020 stuck on “Updating Apple ID Settings”

First off, let me just say that I’m an advanced iOS user, so advanced techs and forum geeks, don’t be afraid because I also speak nerd :)

I just purchased a brand new iPhone SE 2020 128GB from Apple online about a week ago, and I’m having an issue when I try and sign in with my Apple ID that I cannot resolve. I’ve tried literally everything from every forum, and I just don’t have a clue how to fix this.

When I first set up my phone (it was on iOS 13.5 at this point) and iOS prompted me to sign in to my Apple ID on the setup screen, once I entered my password it got stuck on the “Updating Apple ID Settings screen. I left it for ~10 minutes, and there was no change, so I hit the home button and tapped the prompt to start over, and tried everything again. Same issue. I then restarted the phone by holding down the power button and sliding to power off the phone, and by the time it started back up it had moved past the Apple ID setup and I was able to complete setup and get into iOS. Once I was in iOS, it showed in settings that I was signed in to my Apple ID, but it gave me a notification that I needed to update my Apple ID settings, so I clicked the prompt to do so in settings, but it once again hung on the “Updating Apple ID Settings” screen. So I double clicked home and exited the settings app, and I opened settings again and the notification was still there. I updated the phone to iOS 13.5.1, tried clicking the prompt and signing in to my Apple ID again, but it hung once more. I then reset my phone (this time on iOS 13.5.1) and went through the setup process again, but l had the exact same issues both in setup and in iOS settings that I did previously.

Its been about a week, and here’s what I’ve tried. None of these things have worked, and one way or another I will get stuck on the “Updating Apple ID settings” screen either in setup or in iOS, where I’ll have to bypass that screen to use the phone.

• updating from iOS 13.5 to 13.5.1 and erasing all content and settings
  • Resetting network settings, reconnecting to WiFi, and clicking the prompt in settings
  • Resetting network settings, reconnecting to LTE Cellular Data and clicking the prompt in settings
  • Erasing all content and settings on iOS 13.5.1 and NOT signing in to Apple ID in setup, but signing in to Apple ID in iOS Settings
  • Erasing all content and settings on iOS 13.5.1 and signing in to Apple ID during setup
  • Changing Apple ID password
  • Leaving the phone on the “Updating Apple ID settings” screen overnight
  • Multiple soft and hard restarts
  • Signing out of Apple ID in iOS Settings and signing back in both immediately and after both hard and soft restarts
  • Creating an ENTIRELY NEW Apple ID with an iCloud Email and attempting to sign in with that (also hangs on Updating Apple ID settings)
  • Erasing all content and settings, and setting up without transferring content from Android using Move to iOS
  • Tried different WiFi networks

As a side note, I had no issues activating the phone with Sprint.

Currently, my Apple ID shows me as signed in in settings, and I can use everything that is tied to Apple ID (App Store, Apple Music, Find My, etc.) AND it allows me to use this phone for iCloud 2FA, BUT I get a notification every day to update my Apple ID settings, and I cannot set up Apple Pay Cash or Apply for the Apple Card, because those things prompt me to Update Apple ID settings.

All of this is leading me to believe that it’s an issue with this phone and I have been shipped a defective phone somehow, as in addition to this happening with another separate iCloud account entirely, but I’m not having any issues with any other iCloud devices or with signing in to iCloud on the web.

If anybody knows what’s going on or if I need to submit a warranty claim, let me know. I’m happy to go into more detail of the things I’ve tried and any observations I’ve made through this process. Obviously I can use my phone, most things work just fine, but this is getting a bit annoying that my Apple ID settings will not update and that I can’t mess around with certain things like Wallet, and eventually I’ll need to get this working because this is definitely not what a brand new iPhone direct from Apple should be doing.

iPhone SE, 13

Posted on Jun 9, 2020 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2020 12:39 PM

I had this same issue on both iPad and iPhone after getting the new SE iPhone. I called tech support, explained my issue and was transferred to a supervisor. She had me take the following steps:

1. Update to IOS 13.6 (both phone and iPad).
  2. Restart both iPad and phone
  3. Turn off Keychain, then turn it back on
  4. Restart both iPad and phone

She felt something in Keychain became confused or corrupt. Worked on both devices

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Tomrish

I had this same issue on both iPad and iPhone after getting the new SE iPhone. I called tech support, explained my issue and was transferred to a supervisor. She had me take the following steps:

1. Update to IOS 13.6 (both phone and iPad).
  2. Restart both iPad and phone
  3. Turn off Keychain, then turn it back on
  4. Restart both iPad and phone

She felt something in Keychain became confused or corrupt. Worked on both devices

Jun 17, 2020 7:10 PM in response to alexa301

I did finally find a fix that works for me, although depending on how much stuff you have backed up to your iCloud account it might not be viable for you, and even for me, it's certainly not ideal.

Long story short, I took a hard look at what the guy was saying in the article I linked above, and then I went back to the old iPad I have that's running iOS 9.3.5 and created a new apple ID on that iPad, making sure to decline every popup that mentioned upgrading account security or enabling 2FA. Once the account was created, I signed in to that account on my SE and only then enabled 2FA and end-to-end encryption on the SE once it was signed in and verified using security questions.

Basically, I'm just using an older apple device that predates mandatory 2FA to create an iCloud account that doesn't have 2FA enabled by default, and then enabling 2FA once I'm signed in to that account on the new device to get end-to-end encryption working.

This fix works for me because I don't have any data on my iCloud account, as I never used to back anything up to iCloud with my old apple devices when I had them. The only thing I need that account for is Apple Music, as I have 14+ GB of music on that account that I don't feel like manually re-downloading on another account. Since I can actually sign in to iCloud on the new SE using the new account and sign in to iTunes and App Store on the SE using the old account, I can essentially bypass this issue while still retaining my Apple Music library, but if you've got a ton of stuff on your iCloud account, this might not work for you because you'd be essentially losing all of that data when you're forced to start using a new account entirely.

I just find it hard to believe that apple doesn't know about a massive backend bug like this. It's one thing that Apple Support and the Senior Advisors don't know what's going on, since neglecting to train support staff is normal in the tech world, but it's literally just a program loop with no exit condition, which searches for a device connected to the account that fits certain criteria to authenticate end-to-end encryption, but just restarts the search when it fails rather than exiting the program and providing another alternative to authenticate. It shouldn't be that hard to fix, and even if it is, it wouldn't hurt to let the community know that you're aware of the issue and are in the process of patching it.

In the end, I (the customer) shouldn't have to spend my time discovering bugs and finding workarounds for apple's software. There's testers and programmers for that. And, on top of that, nobody should have to worry if a brand new device that they've paid full price for is going to work. Period. I get that my phone works now, and yeah, it does, but still. Shame on apple for making me spend two weeks solving a problem I didn't create. I hope I don't have another massive problem with this phone, or else I'm going to have to seriously reconsider which tech companies are getting my hard-earned money in the future.

Jun 16, 2020 11:25 PM in response to Tomrish

After doing some more testing and research, I've determined that everything outlined in the following apple forum post is completely and 110% correct:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251178396

What's causing this issue is basically the backend for 2FA that's responsible for initiating and carrying out the verification for end-to-end encryption, and how that can't be carried out properly on accounts that were created on older Apple products or on the web AND have had 2FA enabled manually on an older apple product or on the web basically because they need approval to enable end-to-end encryption from a "modern" apple device that isn't paired to that account. That totally explains why everything was working just fine EXCEPT for features that rely on end-to-end encryption, which would prompt me to essentially attempt to enable end-to-end encryption but would get stuck doing so because it's not possible for that to happen on that particular account.

So, basically, that first SE that I bought wasn't actually defective and didn't need to be RMAd.

However, no matter what I've tried, my apple ID, the one I'm currently signed in to writing this post, is basically now rendered unusable, as is any apple ID that wasn't created on a "modern" apple device, or ones that had 2FA enabled on one of those "modern" devices. For whatever reason, all of the test accounts I made on appleid.apple.com didn't work on the new SE, because they have 2FA enabled by default using a phone number as the point of verification, so the apple ID wasn't created on a "modern" apple device nor was the 2FA set up on a "modern" apple device. Normally, this wouldn't be a big issue, except for the fact that I have a massive apple music library (over 13GB) that I now wouldn't be able to use on my brand new iPhone because I'd have to sacrifice this apple ID for a different one that apple deems worthy.

Whether or not this is intentional on apple's part, for whatever gain, it still makes me slightly angry that nobody in support knows what's going on. It's not like there's documentation that tells me this arbitrary limitation and workaround exist in the case that I'm having Apple ID problems, but it would be super easy for apple to add a flag somewhere that says that "this account is not eligible for end-to-end encryption so I would have at least been able to figure out sooner that it's an account issue before RMAing a phone that wasn't actually defective.

Jun 16, 2020 9:34 PM in response to zinacef

Well, that was an adventure.

Apple support did the standard troubleshooting steps, then when those (obviously) failed, the Senior Advisor then remoted in and did his thing, told me it was a defective phone, and transferred me to cell support to RMA the phone and send a replacement.

Fast forward a week, I have the replacement, and, you probably guessed it, I'm having the EXACT same issue. Nothing has changed since I wrote the last post.

When I told the senior advisor that it seems like a lot of people on the Apple forums were having this same issue, he told me that "none of that stuff is true". It seems to me like that stuff might just be true, and it's the apple support team that doesn't know what this issue is.

If anybody has any ideas, please let me know, because at this point I'm not convinced anybody in apple support, senior advisor or otherwise, has a clue what's going on here. If I can't figure out why this is happening by the time FedEx is picking up near me tomorrow, I'm boxing this SE right back up and sending it back for a refund. Totally not what I expected from a brand new device direct from apple, especially since I paid full price for what I thought was supposed to be a functional phone.

I can get a Pixel 3a for the same price as this SE from the local Best Buy AND get it set up and ready to go in 1/4 the time it took for this replacement to ship to my house. Quite honestly, if it means a more knowledgeable support system and an ecosystem that just works without certain features being inaccessible due to inexplicable technical errors and glitches on what is clearly apple's end, then I'll be glad to do that over this. I know it might sound harsh, but in the end, I paid good money to get a product that promised to be able to do a set of things, and that product does not do what it says it can do. Seems to me like I should put that money towards a product that CAN do what it promises.

Jun 17, 2020 4:36 PM in response to Tomrish

I am having the exact same problem. I purchased an iphone11, and had the same problems, tried the same fixes. We knew it was a 2FA issue, because when we tried to back up the old phone to the cloud, it would not allow back up of messages and keychain, which required end to end encryption and there was seemingly no way to turn that on.

We restored from itunes to the new phone and it did the same thing. The phone is activated and rings and get texts, but you cannot log into apple account without it freezing.

So what you are saying is the there is no workaround? I have been on support calls with ATT for over four hours and we got nowhere and your post was the only coherent thing I read all day, albeit not a solution.

Jul 22, 2020 6:19 AM in response to Tomrish

I have been dealing with this issue for a couple of years now with no success of correcting it. I've tried all the troubleshooting recommendations by Apple Support and ones posted on the internet. This seems to be a problem for a lot of people. I would say that in most cases this has nothing to do with your device and most likely an issue with your Apple ID. I have an iPhone and an iMac and have the same problem on both devices. But for some reason I can log into iCloud.com and appleid.apple.com using my Apple ID without any issue at all. I would appreciate it if Apple could correct this! It's been going on for too long now!

Jul 24, 2020 12:59 PM in response to laino71

I am dealing with issue right now, and it's causing my family major grief... Basically, I can't update iCloud settings for Keychain or Messages (which require the end-to-end encryption). I just get the spinning wheel. The worst part is that I've had HomeKit setup for years on this account, with a Family. My account is the organizer. I can no longer use HomeKit whatsoever, all devices are gone and when I go into the Home app, it prompts me to Turn on iCloud Keychain. When I try and turn on Keychain, its states iCloud Keychain Uses End-to-End Encryption, your apple ID must be updated... Then freezes on update everytime, no matter the device. I've tried everything with Apple Support Senior Advisors, and have probably spent at least 20 hours on the phone over the last month with them.

Today, they called me to inform me that they are aware and working on a future fix in an iOS update... What a joke. What am I supposed to do here? I can't control any of the hundreds of dollars I've spent on smart home devices that "Work with Apple HomeKit". My options seem to be wait it out (months, years??) or start with a fresh Apple ID. I have so much tied to this ID though, Family Sharing, Subscriptions, purchased apps, in-app purchases, music, etc... Where do I even begin?

I'm so upset right now. Basically, the entire family uses HomeKit of which I am the "organizer" of, and I can't control anything or see any devices.

Brand new iPhone SE 2020 stuck on “Updating Apple ID Settings”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.