Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix FN key not working properly on new usb keyboard?

Hi,

Just got a macally keyboard. All's swell except when I want to insert a page break in Word, clicking FN+Shft+Return doesn't work anymore. It would with my old Magic keyboard.

I've "identified" the keyboard, I looked in System Prefs, checked the box with "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" hoping that might do something but no.

Any ideas?

Regards

royks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 11, 2020 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 8:06 AM

Hello Royks, 

Thanks for reaching out on the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with the keyboard shortcut to insert a page break with Word. I know how frequently I insert page breaks when I'm working in a text document. 

For Word, I have used command (⌘) + Return to insert a page break using my Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad on my iMac. The same key combination works with the internal keyboard on my MacBook Pro. I'm using Microsoft Office 365 on both devices.

I have tried using fn + Shift + Return as you mentioned you've done in the past, and was unable to get it to work with both the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" both selected and unselected. I even tried creating a keyboard shortcut by following the steps in this article: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac

I found these resources which you may find helpful as well:

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Keyboard shortcuts in Word - Office Support 

All the best.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2020 8:06 AM in response to royksjr

Hello Royks, 

Thanks for reaching out on the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having some trouble with the keyboard shortcut to insert a page break with Word. I know how frequently I insert page breaks when I'm working in a text document. 

For Word, I have used command (⌘) + Return to insert a page break using my Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad on my iMac. The same key combination works with the internal keyboard on my MacBook Pro. I'm using Microsoft Office 365 on both devices.

I have tried using fn + Shift + Return as you mentioned you've done in the past, and was unable to get it to work with both the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" both selected and unselected. I even tried creating a keyboard shortcut by following the steps in this article: Create keyboard shortcuts for apps on Mac

I found these resources which you may find helpful as well:

Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Keyboard shortcuts in Word - Office Support 

All the best.

Jun 15, 2020 1:34 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi

Thanks for all replies.

@MoonJ.—I created a shortcut. I tried to make it CMD+Return, but nothing happened. So I tried CTRL+Return and voila! Thanks!

@Allan Jones — Yeah, I'd tried them, the guy had no clue, advised me to re buy Magic, $94. The Macally is a **** good substitute for $30.

Thanks, guys for taking the time!!

How to fix FN key not working properly on new usb keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.