Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

uodated to 10.5.1 now logic won’t start

uodated to 10.5.1 now it won’t start keeps showing this - failed to find suitable audio plug-in module for target cpu (CPU ISA = 8). Plug-in will not load. 2C Audio-Vector

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2020 1:20 PM

Just launching Logic 10.5.1 by itself (not opening a project). Get spinning beach ball. In the Activity monitor I see that com.apple.audio.InfoHelper was launched by Logic and it is using the most CPU. This is even worse than 10.5 (and I had the frozen play head issue on most projects). Now Logic won't even launch!

Mac Pro (late 2013), 6-core. Mac Os 10.14.6, 96GB RAM

I have never seen more serious bugs in any release of any product before Logic 10.5. Well, until I tried 10.5.1.

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2020 1:20 PM in response to logichelp777

Just launching Logic 10.5.1 by itself (not opening a project). Get spinning beach ball. In the Activity monitor I see that com.apple.audio.InfoHelper was launched by Logic and it is using the most CPU. This is even worse than 10.5 (and I had the frozen play head issue on most projects). Now Logic won't even launch!

Mac Pro (late 2013), 6-core. Mac Os 10.14.6, 96GB RAM

I have never seen more serious bugs in any release of any product before Logic 10.5. Well, until I tried 10.5.1.

Jul 11, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Fast Eddie from Cincinnati

Apparently there will probably not be an Apple fix for this issue, at least anytime soon. One can only attempt to find out which plug-in(s) might be putting Logic into an infinite loop. I and probably everyone else also got the beach ball with the "verifying plug-ins" box. It comes down to Logic 10.5.1 choking on plug-ins that are either obsolete or need updating.

Your best bet is to find the AU plug-ins folder and copy all of them to a separate folder on the desktop for safe keeping. Then put all the AU plug-ins that are in the original Logic AU plug-ins folder in the trash. Now you should be able to load Logic. You’ll then need to move one or a few of the AU plug-ins that you saved to the desktop AU plug-ins folder back to the Logic AU plug-ins folder and keep reloading Logic until you find which AU plug-in(s) is causing the problem.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201532

Jun 12, 2020 2:28 PM in response to charlie_e67

try this -

Rescan all plug-ins

To automatically rescan all installed plug-ins, remove the Audio Unit cache file.

1. In the Finder, press Option and choose Go > Library.
  2. In the Finder window, go to Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache.
  3. Move the files from AudioUnitCache folder to the Desktop. 
  4. Restart the computer, then open Logic Pro X or MainStage. All installed Audio Units plug-ins will be rescanned.

it still takes a long time and you have to manually click cancel to all the plugins that can’t be verified, but eventually I got logic going again this way.

Jun 18, 2020 5:51 AM in response to logichelp777

Hey everybody,

I have a solution that worked for me.

Quick answer:

I deleted all plugins that ended with 'x64' from the Components folder (HD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>Components)

In my case they were:

• Nexus x64.component
  • Quartz x64.component

And it worked! Although it still takes about 1/2-2 minutes to load Logic every time. Before the update it was only a matter of a few seconds. Which means Apple still has to address the lengthy plugin rescan process on every single launch with this new 10.5.1update.

How I figured out that those files were bricking my Logic?

I used the following algorithm:

• I emptied the bin before proceeding.
  • I created a reserved copy of Components folder.
  • I emptied the content of the original Components folder.
  • Then I started to RightClick=>'Put Back' every single plugin 1 by 1 from the Bin which was automatically added back to the original Components folder
  • I was restarting the system with every single add.
  • Launch Logic Pro
  • Sometimes I sped up the algorithm by combining the less likely suspicious plugins from the same developer eg. Soundtoys, FabFilters, Arturia, Native Instruments - I batch 'Put them Back'
  • Tagged all non-problematic plugins with various colours. Just in case I had to start over and I'd already know that those plugins could have been safely put back in the Components folder.
  • I obviously suspected DIY and Trial plugins to cause the problem. But in the end I found out that my brickers were the files with x64 in their name.
  • It took me 4 hours to achieve the result. I had to process 229 plugins in total.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.

PS.

My set up:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Catalina 10.15.4

iLok 2

I have a lot of DIY, freebie, lite, expired trials, no longer supported plugins

I don't have any illegally acquired or 'cracked' plugins installed

Jun 23, 2020 5:07 AM in response to Phillip Lovgren

That also worked for me.

• Delete AU cache
  • (Restart Logic and maybe you can already see which plugin can't be scanned.)
  • Move all AU's to an external folder, so logic should be able to start now.
  • Drag them back to the AU folder (not more than 20 at a time) and restart Logic.
  • As soon as logic doesn't respond anymore after restarting it you might have found the incompatible Plugin (In my case it was Amplesound J Bass that was working in 10.5.)

Good Luck!

Jun 12, 2020 2:32 PM in response to Pepperland

Unfortunately, I can't edit or delete my post. Anyway, Logic 10.5.1 finally started for me. I suggest if it hangs for you, leave it alone for a long while and it should eventually start. Apparently 10.5.1 has to rescan ALL of your AU plug-ins and this can take a long time if you have a lot of them. Logic finally started for me. I'm now testing to see if the play-head hang bug is fixed. So far so good.

Of course, the long start up was only on the first launch of 10.5.1. I don't remember that happening with 10.5.

Jun 12, 2020 3:57 PM in response to charlie_e67

I am having the same problem ever since I tried to upgrade to 10.5.1 on Catalina. I eventually deleted Logic and did a reinstall. Now when I try to start up it seems to remain in an endless loop saying "updating information about audio unit plug-ins". I even let it run overnight last night and finally decided to break out of this loop this morning. I then saw a message letting me know that Logic was unresponsive, so I have no idea if it had been unresponsive all night? I'm working on a project and had hoped to finish it this weekend but now I can't even seem to start up the program! I don't wish this on anyone but I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!

Jun 12, 2020 5:00 PM in response to charlie_e67

Hi Charlie_e67, It is Mac Pro (late 2013), 6-core. Mac Os 10.14.6, 96GB RAM. I going to stay away from Catalina for a while longer. Mojave is being nice to me so far. It seems faster than High Sierra on this Mac Pro.

Regarding the Logic 10.5.1 issue, I'm pretty sure it took about 30 mins to scan around 288 plug-ins. Sadly no progress was displayed during that apparent hang and I see no warning about that in the release notes.

On the other hand, after reading the release notes I see they fix a huge number of bugs. Thank you Apple for that!

Jun 13, 2020 4:37 AM in response to logichelp777

This is a nightmare.... I have over 300 plugins and none of the potential work-arounds are working. Logic is completely bricked for me. That is, I keep getting all these windows for my ilok or trial plugins popping up and once I quit those, other plugins will pop up that i'm constantly clicking cancel for. Then it just hangs with the beachball spinning round. I watched a movie and waited 2 hours and it was still spinning...

I tried removing the .components from the components folder and dragged them all to my desktop, but for some reason Logic still sees them and is scanning them. So none of Apple's work-arounds work here either.

I didn't even download the 10.5.1 update, I must've enabled auto updates.... which once Apple fixes this (I'm fearing it will take a while since it's the weekend) I'll be changing that. Wish there was an actual work-around so we didn't have to wait.

Jun 13, 2020 5:33 AM in response to cgprande7

I was able to find the previous version of Logic on a back up drive and now I’m up again.

I read elsewhere that someone trashed the plug in cashe forcing Logic to rescan and validate all plugins and that worked for them (but it did not work for me.)

I guess it depends on your hardware.

Sorry you are going through this as well. This update was NOT ready for prime time!

Jun 13, 2020 6:47 AM in response to stikygum

I'm sorry, friend. I feel your pain. Sounds like we had the exact same issue as well with the iLok Trial plugins... One person here said they did something that worked fro them (but did NOT work for me.)

That was to delete the plugin cashe file and force Logic to completely rescan all plugs from scratch.

When you do this, you will be in another long loop of waiting - but for that one user, they were up and running.

To try it, do this:

In the Finder - "Go" pull down menu - Library - Cashes - AudioUnitCashe - Remove the file(s) here and put them in a folder elsewhere.

Now the AudioUnitCashe folder is empty and start Logic...

Again, this did not work for me but it's something to try.

Jun 13, 2020 10:49 AM in response to logichelp777

yeah, I trusted that message the first time as well: the one about "...updating audio plugins...".

but it wasn't doing anything: it was hung, with the error message "strobe 2 has expired" BEHIND the logic boot logo window so I can't click OK.

the previously mentioned workaround of removing the file in the audiounitcache folder: this worked for me but I have to remove the file every time I want to open logic. btw, for me the boot up time doing it this way was NOT much longer than a typical boot up.

where are the official apple techs on this?!?! there's obvi a major issue affecting many users. hello, apple?????

uodated to 10.5.1 now logic won’t start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.