Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keeps adding a second "iTunes Media" folder within the existing "iTunes Media" folder

Every time I open iTunes (v. 12.10.7.3) on my PC, I find that the iTunes Media folder location is inside an existing iTunes Media folder, here: C:\Users\myname\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Media. I change the location back to: C:\Users\myname\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media, and using File Explorer I delete the iTunes Media folder that is within the iTunes Media folder. But the next time I open iTunes, the folder location is again C:\Users\myname\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Media. I have the boxes checked stating "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to the iTunes Media folder when adding to the library."

Does anyone know how I can fix this very annoying problem. If I don't check it, and do a sync, items end up in the folder inside the folder, and I have to move them out.

Thanks in advance.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 3:08 AM

At a guess you've somehow become connected to an iTunes Library.itl file at the path C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Library.itl. A bug has affected some users for several versions now where the media folder preference isn't saved correctly and resets to iTunes Media in the same folder as the active .itl file. Look in C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes and move any of the following into a temporary folder on your desktop:

Album Artwork

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes (Music) Library.xml

Now look inside C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media and move the same set of files and folders up one level to C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes. Finally hold down shift as you launch iTunes and keep holding until asked to choose or create a library. Click choose, then browse to and open C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl. You should find that the media folder is now correctly given as C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media.

Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn Keep organized off and on again if needed to move media to the correct places within the media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2020 3:08 AM in response to somckeever

At a guess you've somehow become connected to an iTunes Library.itl file at the path C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\iTunes Library.itl. A bug has affected some users for several versions now where the media folder preference isn't saved correctly and resets to iTunes Media in the same folder as the active .itl file. Look in C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes and move any of the following into a temporary folder on your desktop:

Album Artwork

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes (Music) Library.xml

Now look inside C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media and move the same set of files and folders up one level to C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes. Finally hold down shift as you launch iTunes and keep holding until asked to choose or create a library. Click choose, then browse to and open C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl. You should find that the media folder is now correctly given as C:\Users\<User>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media.

Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn Keep organized off and on again if needed to move media to the correct places within the media folder.

tt2

iTunes keeps adding a second "iTunes Media" folder within the existing "iTunes Media" folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.