Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Can't Change Itunes Media Folder Location

I wanted to change the Itunes Media Folder Location to another drive on my Windows 11 computer. Edit/Preferences/Advanced allows me to browse for the folder location and change it but it doesn't stay changed. When I exit Itunes and relaunch Itunes it reverts back to the old location. Has anyone seen this happen?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 6:07 AM

There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes that, at least for some users, seems to stop the media folder preference from being saved properly. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community and put your library in a shape that isn't affected by the issue, and is easier to backup and move around in future.

TL;DR: move your existing library to the drive you want to use and shift-start-iTunes to open it there instead of trying to change the media folder.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 6:07 AM in response to jeffgoulden

There is a bug in recent builds of iTunes that, at least for some users, seems to stop the media folder preference from being saved properly. See Make a split library portable - Apple Community and put your library in a shape that isn't affected by the issue, and is easier to backup and move around in future.

TL;DR: move your existing library to the drive you want to use and shift-start-iTunes to open it there instead of trying to change the media folder.

tt2

Can't Change Itunes Media Folder Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.