Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV app now allowing watch now

So I purchased the middle complete series . But when I try to watch it it only allowed me to watch by going to library-recent Purchases and then choosing what episode I like.

but when I try to to go to watch now and choose the show it only shows (how to watch)

is this a bug or is there something I’m not doing right?

FireTVStick(Gen2),

Posted on Jun 13, 2020 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2020 10:28 PM

I have the same issue. I purchased “The Middle” and it is listed in Watch Now but when I select it, it takes me to “The Middle” that is on Amazon Prime. That is annoying because Amazon displays an IMDb ad before streaming the show. I bought the series so I wouldn’t have to watch ads.

This also happens with Seinfeld. I purchased it and I used to be able to select it on Watch Now. However now when I select it it wants me to install the Hulu app.

Apple tv should give purchased shows priority over Amazon and Hulu.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2020 10:28 PM in response to Joseph_S.

I have the same issue. I purchased “The Middle” and it is listed in Watch Now but when I select it, it takes me to “The Middle” that is on Amazon Prime. That is annoying because Amazon displays an IMDb ad before streaming the show. I bought the series so I wouldn’t have to watch ads.

This also happens with Seinfeld. I purchased it and I used to be able to select it on Watch Now. However now when I select it it wants me to install the Hulu app.

Apple tv should give purchased shows priority over Amazon and Hulu.

Jun 17, 2020 9:44 AM in response to jody castillo

Hello jody castillo,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are having an issue with the Watch Now option on the Apple TV app. I'm happy to help you find some information.

"The Watch Now screen in the Apple TV app is the place to start watching movies, TV shows, news, and live sports (not available in all countries or regions). Find what you want to watch, add it to your Up Next list, then start watching." Here is a link with additional information:

Watch Now in the Apple TV app

If you are still having an issue after reviewing the above link, please let us know.

Have a great day!

Jul 5, 2020 3:13 PM in response to Dowzer_

… choosing the iTunes Store, it wants me to purchase the show again.

Hmm, that should be recognized by you Apple ID account. Did you verify if the current account matches the account as used for the purchase? You may want to contact the iTunes Store staff for further assistance, as they have the ability to look into your account details.

Jul 5, 2020 11:56 AM in response to Dowzer_

I finally found the How To Watch. From the Watch Now hard press on the show you want and then choose View Details.

However after doing that and going to the How To Watch section and choosing the iTunes Store, it wants me to purchase the show again. How do I select the iTunes Store without purchasing the show again?

Jul 12, 2020 4:48 AM in response to jody castillo

Why is this marked as solved? It is not solved.

Watch now often looses track of the fact I own a television series and I am forced instead to go to my library and look through the entire list of episodes to find the next one. This occurs across the macOS app, the iOS app, and the app on my Roku.

I've logged out and logged back in and that doesn't help. It is not that I'm not logged into the incorrect account. I watch one or two episodes through watch now and then immediately after that, instead of letting me watch the next one the app only offers to let me purchase the following episode. And I can go directly from there to my library and watch the next episode without purchasing it.

I do not own an appleTV, but I'm hesitant to purchase one if this is the sort of software quality I'd be forced to put up with.

Jul 12, 2020 5:27 AM in response to dwightk

Why is this marked as solved? It is not solved.

The original poster can mark answers as Helpful or Solved. Unfortunately, this voting system is sometimes used to mean agreement (“I have the same issue”) or other sentiments different from the meaning of helpful with the question, or solving the question. It is not possible to revert the “Solved” mark.

Aug 13, 2020 2:02 PM in response to dwightk

Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the same issue with Modern Family. I purchased the complete series from iTunes, and when i go to watch the next episode under the Watch Now pane, it says i need to purchase the episode. It's very frustrating with over 200 episodes to have to scroll through every time i want to pick up where i left off.

Apple TV app now allowing watch now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.