Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro 2017 13" -worth getting a 4K UHD monitor for?

Due to telecommuting ad nauseam, I want to get just a slightly bigger monitor, and am eying a 15.6" 4K UHD portable monitor (in the spirit of laptops), like a UPerfect gaming monitor. Can my MacBook Pro 13" fr 2017 support it? I love my retina display, and am hoping a 4K monitor can produce similar screen.

Or should save $100 and get a FHD (b/c my laptop can support FHD)? Or just don't get any b/c the FHD won't give me a similar Retina experience? Thanks. I spent a whole weekend researching and hope I'm on right track.

Here's what I copied from Apple on the spec of my MacBook:

• Retina display
  • 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
  • Supported scaled resolutions:
    • 1680 by 1050
    • 1440 by 900
    • 1024 by 640
  • 500 nits brightness

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2020 7:52 AM

4 replies

Jun 15, 2020 12:09 PM in response to suefromrandolph

I’d say you’re on the right track, suefromrandolph

i have a 4k monitor and I love it- of course it’s a 42 incher

What you’d need to look for in a monitor is the panel technology

eg, not TN or TFT but IPS. And of course the monitor should support hdr( deep colour)

dolby vision or whatever else they use these days. You also want something that’ll produce a good black level and a good colour depth. Actually, yes, your MacBook Pro 2017 will support 4 k video output, maybe a little better either via thunderbolt 3, Or USB-c. It may do displayPort or Mini DisplayPort or even hdmi 2.0 but you might need an adapter for that.

good gracious,if you wanted to, you could even plug it into your living room tv. I dont know how that would work for telecommuting. You’d probably have to add a webcam... but it is quite possible... I’d also look at ones known to be ‘’mac friendly”

anyways all the best to you

john b

Jun 16, 2020 12:25 PM in response to suefromrandolph

Yes it’s good. I think Apple was going for size+price + weight on the MacBook Pro 2017 13” . To have a 4k screen in there plus the graphics card built in to support it would have added to the cost And upped the weight a bit I suppose. No biggie but it would have been nice to have that option. The built in screen would do about 2k absolute max with 1440 x900 native resolution. Oh well- apart from switch res x that’s all I got

jb

Macbook pro 2017 13" -worth getting a 4K UHD monitor for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.