Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not connect to shared mac

I am attempting to set up a MacBook Pro as a shared computer.

I have an iMac (10.15.4) connected via ethernet to a cisco router and an MacBook Pro (called StevenServer also running 10.15.4) connected via ethernet to the same cisco router. Both computers readily detect the internet.

I initially set up a test situation connecting StevenServer to a different ethernet outlet and it seemed to work ok. I ended up with a 'StevenServer' under locations on my iMac. So I moved StevenServer to the final ethernet outlet. On StevenServer I have selected File Sharing, Screen Sharing, Printer Sharing and Bluetooth Sharing.

Now when I try to connect to 'StevenServer' in locations on the iMac, I get a connection failure notice and I can not connect nor does 'Share Screen'. But if I use Finder-->Go-->connect to server and enter smb://StevenServer.local, it seems to connect. I now have two locations in the Finder sidebar listed: StevenServer and StevenServer.local. The Screen Share option is not visible with StevenServer.local is selected, but it is visible and works with StevenServer is selected.

Somehow I must have set up things incorrectly as I need two different locations listed: StevenServer and StevenServer.local. I suspect that there is some residual information on my iMac for StevenServer that is not correct for new physical location of StevenServer, like a bad ip address.

I would like to redo everything and have tried turning off, reboot and then turn all the sharing services on StevenServer without benefit. Or better mix the sidebar location item 'StevenServer' so it connects properly.

Thanks

Steven Seelig

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 12:56 PM

Steven I think this will do it...

Remove those from the Sidebar by dragging them off, then in Finder>Go menu>Connect to Server, highlight those & click the Remove button, restart & setup again.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 18, 2020 6:58 PM in response to BDAqua

Well, I had turned off both my iMac and the MacBook Pro. Turned on the iMac and there was nothing under locations for StevenServer (MacBook Pro). Started the MacBook Pro, and the StevenServer location loaded and was connected properly. Still could not move it out of the sidebar with Cmd or any other key. Maybe the problem was related to needing to restart the iMac. I will test it further over the next week and see how it goes. Thanks for your help

can not connect to shared mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.