Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Catalina Upgrade Failures

Hi I have a13 inch Macbook Pro purchased late 2015, 2.7 core i5 8gb ram. I finally got an invite to upgrade my OS from Mojave to Catalina (after 6 months) over a month ago but each time I try, my OS update download times out after 511 mb of the required 8gb download. This happens when I attempt downloading from The Apple Store too. What is the best approach to solve this problem so I may upgrade my OS? I am trying to avoid calling Apple direct. This is really frustrating, even my windows OS surprisingly upgrades better. Thanks for your help.

Thomas

MacBook

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2020 2:06 PM

That should be plenty of free space for the upgrade. Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and try to do the upgrade from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2020 2:06 PM in response to MustangSk8tr

That should be plenty of free space for the upgrade. Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and try to do the upgrade from there.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

OS Catalina Upgrade Failures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.