Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone software update stuck on Install Now

My question is what to do when a wheel located next to "Install Now" is spinning? It has been spinning for nearly 2 hours. It's trying to install Software Update iOS 13.5.1 on an iPhone 11? I just transferred information from an iPhone 7 and everything ran smoothly until the software update.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 12:39 PM

Ok, here re the basic steps that worked in my case:

1. Set up a new iPhone as a new one (without coping data& settings from)
  2. Update the new iPhone to the latest iOS.
  3. Erase new iPhone data & settings
  4. I guess you are asking about this step. When setting up a new iPhone after erase, choose an option to copy the settings from the old iPhone (forgot exact name of the option, sorry). Keep your old phone near. It will display a moving image with a code (I am sure there is a proper name for it). Your new iPhone will turn on a camera to read the code. Basically, you perform the same task that was failing before. I guess the trick is to upgrade iOS to the same version as your older iPhone before copying the settings. Hope this helps and good luck!
42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 12:39 PM in response to geraintcaernarfon

Ok, here re the basic steps that worked in my case:

1. Set up a new iPhone as a new one (without coping data& settings from)
  2. Update the new iPhone to the latest iOS.
  3. Erase new iPhone data & settings
  4. I guess you are asking about this step. When setting up a new iPhone after erase, choose an option to copy the settings from the old iPhone (forgot exact name of the option, sorry). Keep your old phone near. It will display a moving image with a code (I am sure there is a proper name for it). Your new iPhone will turn on a camera to read the code. Basically, you perform the same task that was failing before. I guess the trick is to upgrade iOS to the same version as your older iPhone before copying the settings. Hope this helps and good luck!

Jan 12, 2021 7:47 PM in response to statuvariabilis

To solve transfer data from old Iphone to new Iphone, follow this:

0.Force restart your new Iphone based on your model(https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios) while stuck on Install Now

1.Upgrade your old Iphone ios to the latest via Itunes and take a back up

2.Connect your new Iphone (I have 12 Pro Max) and update ios to the latest via Itunes.

3.Put both phones next to each other.

4.Turn on new Iphone , follow Quick Start (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210216) screen and select transfer data from old Iphone

Mine was completed in 5 minutes.

This should solve the transferring data issue. Idea is to keep the same IOS on both devices.

Hope this helps!

Jun 24, 2020 6:13 PM in response to RKhan75

Hello Rkhan,

The poster was not asking for requirements. I agree. The thought process here was to ensure that the posters iPhone meets those requirements to update the iPhone and its iOS version. For example, if the iPhone was not charged more than 50% then the iPhone will not complete the update. Just wanted to double check the that those requirements were met and if they were then we can move on to other troubleshooting techniques.

Axel F.

Jul 10, 2020 11:32 AM in response to statuvariabilis

I had the same issue when setting up a new iPhone 11 and copying data&settings from my existing iPhone at the same time. Stayed in "Install now" stage for a night!

To solve the problem I proceeded with setting up the iPhone as a new one (without syncing my old iPhone content). Then I installed iOS 13.5.1 and it installed in minutes! I guess syncing my old phone content at the same time caused a problem for iOS update. Then I reset the new iPhone to the default factory settings (having iOS 13.5.1 already installed) and starter all over. This time I started setting up by syncing my old iPhone content and everything went fine.

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2020 6:39 PM in response to statuvariabilis

Here I am December 29, 2020 and the same problem happened to me with the latest IOS upgrade. As I ran the process to transfer data from my iphone 6s to a new SE 2020 got stuck midstream in am upgrade loop that was unable to complete. I followed gmuchaidze advice and "pretend" set up my new SE 2020 as if I didn't have an iphone before, loaded and installed the update to IOS 14.3 which did take some time. Then I reset my new SE 2020 and began the transfer process over and all worked fine. What happened to me was I tried to do the data transfer between phones and mid-process it stopped and insisted I do the IOS 14.3 upgrade which just kept spinning and spinning without finishing. After two tries and a couple of hours waiting for the upgrade to process, the fake setup of a new iphone, loading the upgrade, then resetting and then going to the data transfer process works. Apple needs to fix this problem - not all users are going to be able to work out this problem on their own or know how to access forum help.

Dec 13, 2020 5:54 AM in response to WaylonDog

I’ve just got a new iPhone 11 and all excited. Opened box to find no plug, just a charger. But what really is annoying is no earphones or EarPods. I contacted o2 and apple not putting them in anymore. Disgusting.

mom also stuck on the iOS 14.2 wheel and install now. Been speaking with a guy who worked for apple, who said a £500 phone that has bugs so soon. Reckons we all need to complain then they will do summert. I want my phone to automatically transfer all to my new phone. This isn’t on APPLE!!!

Feb 3, 2021 9:58 AM in response to statuvariabilis

I am facing this issue as well, and I am updating to ios14.4 and transfering data from a 6s plus, I didnt set up face id and I chose not to share data with apple. then, It stucks at 'install now' for like 30 minutes and I am out of patient so I hold the button on the right for 3 secs (because I have no idea how to stop it or start over, the only thing I could play with is that botton) and it gives option to 'erase this ipone' and change to factory settings, I did that and repeat the say process again but now this time I chose to set up the face id and share the data, and everything works perfectly... so what the **** happened? I have no clue and I even doubt if it is a brand new phone ;(

Jan 16, 2021 2:33 PM in response to statuvariabilis

This is horrible! After paying so much money for the iphone 12 I should not be spending hours trying to get it set up! Isn't newer technology supposed to make things easier? There has been nothing easy about this phone. Two hours later I am still reading discussion boards trying to figure this out. Very frustrating! Why would I not get a brand new phone that is fully up to date?

iPhone software update stuck on Install Now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.