Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen has big red rectangle with white arrow in it. Some kind of lockdown icon?

My mom's MacBook Air screen has a black window with a big red rectangle with white arrow in it. It appears to be some kind of lockdown icon, but no clue what it is or how to make it go away. It does not interfere with the use of Mail, Safari, etc. But it's a nuisance. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 19, 2020 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2020 1:33 PM

It resembles a "play" icon such as you might find associated with a video or music. What happens if you click it?

Since neither you or I know what it is EtreCheck is almost certain to help track down the cause: Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. You can post its report in a reply to this Discussion using the "additional text" icon shown below:

A video showing how to do it is linked in that User Tip:

See this User Tip for more instructions on the “Note” control: How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2020 1:33 PM in response to scrappykate

It resembles a "play" icon such as you might find associated with a video or music. What happens if you click it?

Since neither you or I know what it is EtreCheck is almost certain to help track down the cause: Using EtreCheck - Apple Community. You can post its report in a reply to this Discussion using the "additional text" icon shown below:

A video showing how to do it is linked in that User Tip:

See this User Tip for more instructions on the “Note” control: How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community

Screen has big red rectangle with white arrow in it. Some kind of lockdown icon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.