Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i hook up both hdmi and optical at the same time to my 61" hitachi rear projection Tv

Looking to hook up hdmi from older Apple TV to my tv’s dvi for video (already tried and I get video with a hdmi to dvi plug, but no sound; doesn’t seem to work with the newer Apple TV) and I also want to hook up optical from Apple TV to a converter box (converting optical to rca), then plugging the rca to the same input as the dvi for the sound; so wanting to know if Apple TV hdmi and optical works at the same time or does the hdmi stop working when using the optical or optical not work when using the hdmi. My tv has 5 rca and 1 dvi on input 1, so I could use a complete hdmi to rca converter box (converting video and audio from hdmi to rca) if Apple TV cannot work with hdmi for video and optical for audio at the same time. Just wondering if anyone knows which option I must use.

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 12:58 AM

The older models Apple TV have separate audio outputs just for when HDMI isn’t suitable for the audio equipment. So, yes, it works at the same time. Then HDMI can be used for video and the audio connectors for the audio.

HDMI-to-DVI doesn’t support audio, so when using DVI, you will have to create a separate audio connection anyway.

The newer model Apple TV do not have separate audio outputs, but a similar configurations could be done by adding an HDMI Audio Extractor box to the setup.

Analog video inputs (RCA) will not work, as the commercial content is protected by HDCP from decoder to screen, which only works with digital signals (HDMI).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 12:58 AM in response to 61hitachiultravision

The older models Apple TV have separate audio outputs just for when HDMI isn’t suitable for the audio equipment. So, yes, it works at the same time. Then HDMI can be used for video and the audio connectors for the audio.

HDMI-to-DVI doesn’t support audio, so when using DVI, you will have to create a separate audio connection anyway.

The newer model Apple TV do not have separate audio outputs, but a similar configurations could be done by adding an HDMI Audio Extractor box to the setup.

Analog video inputs (RCA) will not work, as the commercial content is protected by HDCP from decoder to screen, which only works with digital signals (HDMI).

Jun 23, 2020 6:05 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you very much for your input. You were very correct. I already connected my older Apple TV hdmi to hdmi-dvi converter plug for video to my hitachi tv and got that to work yesterday , and then as you said, today I connected an optical cable from my Costco tv ears center speaker system to my Apple TV for audio; it took a moment then it all worked great. Tomorrow I am going to get an optical to rca converter box and try to connect my Apple TV to my hitachi tv to get the sound out of the tv speakers, instead of the little Costco tv ears center speakers; It’s the same input as the dvi (I believe it should work). Thanks again.

can i hook up both hdmi and optical at the same time to my 61" hitachi rear projection Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.