Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Monitor for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Hey there. I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) and have an external monitor that is a Dell UltraSharp 27 Monitor: U2719D. What cable(s) do I need to connect the two? I don't think the cables that came with the monitor (brand new) work on my macbook. Do I need some kind of port hub?

My Macbook has two Thunderbolt 2 ports on the left side. I noticed the HDMI port on the right is smaller than most HDMI cables I've seen for sale. Can someone help to point me in the right direction as to what cables I need? I'm hoping to use the monitor to save my eyes from all the design work I do on my macbook. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 10:18 AM

The HDMI port is standard size. Use an HDMI cable.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp719?locale=en_US

4 replies

Jun 23, 2020 10:21 AM in response to David Garcia2

No problem, David Garcia 2, that's what I'm here for....just a Mac user helping out other Mac users. .....

Apparently it's a standard HDMI 1.4 socket. Your MacBook Pro also supports MiniDisplayPort via the Thunderbolt 2 sockets.

Your monitor has an HDMI port, a DP in, a DP out....USB upstream and downsteam port (for changing??

You don't need a port hub, just a MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. The monitor will do 2k (2560 x 114@60 hz) ...so a cable that supports DP 1.2 or if you can find it, DP 1.4 would be fine. I think it's a regular HDMI port, at least it looks like one.... the only way to tell is to try a regular HDMI cable on it and if the end doesn't fit at all, then it's a mini-hdmi, for which you'd need an adapter....

good luck

jon b

Jun 30, 2020 4:24 AM in response to David Garcia2

You’re welcome, David. I’d check the hdmi socket for crumbs or debris but other than that, don’t have much.. either go with amazon or monoprice for the MiniDP to DP cable. Monoprice usually carries the 6feet length but no longer than that . Amazon has longer lengths, up to 15 feet if you need it.monoprice’s shipping is free I think

john b

External Monitor for MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.