Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Disconnects From iTunes and running different versions of OS

I just got my second Homepod, running in stereo and they sound great.

Whenever I try to play music from my Windows laptop via iTunes connected to the Homepods, the old one would always disconnect after 30 seconds. Now that I have two, the new one stays connected and keeps playing, the old one still drops out after 30 seconds. I did a reset on the old one, reset up and repaired but that doesn't fix the problem - the old one still gets disconnected.

Could it be that my older Homepod is defective and needs to be replaced? Or can anyone suggest a fix for this disconnect problem?

(Aside from that, looking in the Home app, I see the new one is on version 12.1.3, the new one is on version 13.4.6. When I try to do a software update in the Home app, it tells me my Homepod software is up to date.)

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 11:00 AM

That the newer device has the older firmware makes sense. It has been in warehouse or a shop disconnected from the Internet while your older device has been able to get each update when released. Try powering the device off and on again. Set up automatic updates in the Home app and you may find it has updated by the morning.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2020 11:00 AM in response to SpikeHK

That the newer device has the older firmware makes sense. It has been in warehouse or a shop disconnected from the Internet while your older device has been able to get each update when released. Try powering the device off and on again. Set up automatic updates in the Home app and you may find it has updated by the morning.

tt2

Jun 26, 2020 9:43 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi @turingtest2 - this is also odd. The older Homepod, the one I've had for a few months, is Version 13.4.6. The newer one, the one I bought this week, is Version 12.1.3. I unpaired them, selected Software Update in the Home app, but I get "Your HomePod software is up to date." I don't understand what's happening here at all. I guess I'll have to call Apple Support unless I get some other suggestions here.

HomePod Disconnects From iTunes and running different versions of OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.