Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Boxes replaced photos in camera roll

Can someone please help me with this? I found various threads about this but nothing is helping. I have recently ran out of storage on my phone and proceeded to delete many things. In the process, I played around with ICloud then somehow ended up missing many pictures in my Iphone’s gallery. At first I thought it was a glitch so I deleted many black boxed pictures but I think that exacerbated the situation. Not only can I not see these photos, but now I deleted a bunch which i cannot get back in case I am able to fix this. Note: I have tried everything from restarting my phone to restoring files and third party softwares. Nothing helped me. I really need these irreplaceable photos back, so I would appreciate some help here.

TL;DR: How to restore black photos (shown in attachment below) back to original along with ones I manually deleted after I messed around with ICloud. These pictures only appear fully black and cannot be uploaded anywhere. I think I interrupted the syncing process and deleted some therefore they got corrupted.

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 12:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 12:14 AM

What I see is you are in "Recents" Album. If you have turned on iCloud Photos, probably you have poor internet connection. Look into it.

Since you have only shown Recents Album, Please check if they are available under Photos (Bottom extreme Left)? Please check.

Also log into https://www.icloud.com with your Apple ID credentials and then check under photos.

What you have deleted must be available under Recently Deleted Albums.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2020 12:14 AM in response to MadHatter00

What I see is you are in "Recents" Album. If you have turned on iCloud Photos, probably you have poor internet connection. Look into it.

Since you have only shown Recents Album, Please check if they are available under Photos (Bottom extreme Left)? Please check.

Also log into https://www.icloud.com with your Apple ID credentials and then check under photos.

What you have deleted must be available under Recently Deleted Albums.

Jun 28, 2020 12:41 AM in response to SravanKrA

I wish it were that easy, in that they were merely in the “Recently Deleted” albums. Regardless of the Recents album or regular camera roll, I see the same thing. There are also many blurry pictures as shown below. I’m pretty sure I messed it up somehow after finding out I was low on space and ended up opening a can of worms when I played around with ICloud, only my really old pictures are there, but the more recent ones in black do not appear. After i turned on Icloud, i found my old pictures transferred to my phone along with many duplicates of newer ones. I deleted the duplicates thinking it was harmless yet this tediousness ensued. Im out of options, Itunes and iCloud aren’t helping and recovery programs are useless. Im desperate for my missing files, thanks for your reply Sravan - please give me other tips if you can.

Black Boxes replaced photos in camera roll

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.