Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WARRANTY ON NEW OLD STOCK (IPhone 5s)

I purchased an iPhone 5s for my 12 year old grandchild. The phone is sealed in the box. When I checked the serial number on the support site, I received a message that stated, “It looks like your coverage has expired.” How can that be if it is a new item? Thank you.

D. Bryant

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 5:01 PM

The warranty starts on the day of sale from Apple or an Apple Authorized seller. So buying an unused old stock from an unauthorized seller means whomever originally purchased it started the warranty. The resale of it by anyone else, whether it was ever used or not, does not restart the warranty.

If it has been sitting in a box for years, you may also find it needs a new battery to be useful at all. And an iPhone 5s cannot run any version of iOS beyond iOS 12.4.7 (so cat run iOS 13 and will not iOS 14 when it comes out this fall).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 5:01 PM in response to Neiceybee

The warranty starts on the day of sale from Apple or an Apple Authorized seller. So buying an unused old stock from an unauthorized seller means whomever originally purchased it started the warranty. The resale of it by anyone else, whether it was ever used or not, does not restart the warranty.

If it has been sitting in a box for years, you may also find it needs a new battery to be useful at all. And an iPhone 5s cannot run any version of iOS beyond iOS 12.4.7 (so cat run iOS 13 and will not iOS 14 when it comes out this fall).

WARRANTY ON NEW OLD STOCK (IPhone 5s)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.