Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing a footnote.

Previously this question was asked:

I think I'm going crazy. All I want to do is edit footnotes in a document in Pages on my new Mac Pro. There simply doesn't seem to be any way to access, open or change the footnote once its been entered. The numbering in the body-text is also wierd. I'm stunned that I even have to search for how to do this most basic, common scholarly writing operation

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 3:22 AM

An answer was given to click the footnote three times then click again.

Apart from being a very strange approach for an apple product, it doesn't seem to work.

If there's an answer to this problem I'd like to know how to do this.

This is, as the previous questioner said, a horrible, inexcusable oversight.

Apparently if you have a typo, or need to change the text of the footnote in some way, you have to delete it and start over. Fine if its a two word footnote. Not so fine if its more complicated than that.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 8:03 AM

Alittle more clarity for you.

In Catalina 10.15.5 and Pages 10, one double clicks on the actual footnote number associated with the word in the body text to jump to the footnote text with the insertion beam already in that text. Similarly, a rapid, double-click over the footnote text will allow you to edit that footnote text. This is also how it works on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Pages 10.

My original post with a different Pages 10 document on macOS Mojave acted differently, as was the basis of my originally erroneous reply to you.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 8:03 AM in response to Quolla6

Alittle more clarity for you.

In Catalina 10.15.5 and Pages 10, one double clicks on the actual footnote number associated with the word in the body text to jump to the footnote text with the insertion beam already in that text. Similarly, a rapid, double-click over the footnote text will allow you to edit that footnote text. This is also how it works on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Pages 10.

My original post with a different Pages 10 document on macOS Mojave acted differently, as was the basis of my originally erroneous reply to you.

Jun 30, 2020 5:27 AM in response to Quolla6

One should not be without the Pages User Guide for Mac, or a particular section of it named, Use footnotes and endnotes in Pages on Mac.

Despite what Apple says in the above link, in Pages 10, you have to triple-click the footnote in rapid succession to place the insertion beam in the footnote content, though only one click will expose the footnote tab in the right panel.

Footnote behaviour has changed little since Pages v5 was introduced in Oct 2013. If you think it can be improved, use the Provide Pages Feedback menu item from the Pages application menu. It will be sent directly to the Pages product team.

Jun 30, 2020 7:37 AM in response to Quolla6

Well, lets see...

Originally I checked with the Help link on Pages

and got the the part about double clicking to get to the insertion point

Didn't work

Then I checked here and read an old post about triple clicking and then single clicking

Didn't work

Then I posted here and got the reply that I should have looked at the help file, even though it gave the wrong answer

Then that bit about triple clicking etc was repeated

So I tried that and got exactly the same result as previously---that is to say it didn't work.

double click-single click, triple click-single click etc. same result.. Nothing.

I guess I'll struggle on with having to retype footnotes for any changes needed,

Well, I suppose it's better than iBook Author which seems to lack footnoting capability altogether.

But then again I probably wouldn't be asking this question if iBooks Author wasn't going away. And pages does have a number of useful features over its cousin.

But thanks, I appreciate the response, even if it didn't seem to work.

Editing a footnote.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.