Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE PAGES TO CREATE EPUB BOOK

I'm using Pages v 10 to create an ebook. This book is in portrait mode, and consists of text and lots of images.

I've decided that to restrict images 'pushing' others out of place or sliding over one another (why, I don't know, but I've lost the formatting too many times), I'm now using 'move with text' / inline with text for my images.

When I've generated an epub version, everything - text and images is LEFT JUSTIFIED.

I want the text LEFT JUSTIFIED, but images CENTRE JUSTIFIED IN THE EPUB

Is this possible with Pages using the 'move with text / inline with text settings?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 12:14 PM

Thanks.

I'm not hopeful about achieving what I want to using Pages.

But I've had horrendous problems with Pages / Move with text / Above and below, with images moving to unwanted places when additional text / images are entered in the document

I've written half the book in Pages, but really need images centre justified

Is there another simple to use epub compiler I could perhaps run the Pages document through that will preserve what, in Pages itself, looks to be centre-justified images? I assume that because the Pages layout and ePub layouts are different, the reason lies in the compilation process?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 12:14 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks.

I'm not hopeful about achieving what I want to using Pages.

But I've had horrendous problems with Pages / Move with text / Above and below, with images moving to unwanted places when additional text / images are entered in the document

I've written half the book in Pages, but really need images centre justified

Is there another simple to use epub compiler I could perhaps run the Pages document through that will preserve what, in Pages itself, looks to be centre-justified images? I assume that because the Pages layout and ePub layouts are different, the reason lies in the compilation process?

Jun 30, 2020 10:02 AM in response to mackieshill

I don't believe you can achieve your left text and centered images with your current settings. Here is an example where after each image was dropped into the Pages document, I visited the Arrange tab and set Text Wrap from Automatic to Around, the dragged them to where the automatic alignment guides showed them centered.

When I exported to ePUB, I selected, No book cover, Fixed Layout (because of the images and text), and only embedded the fonts. The result in Books looked like this:

Jun 30, 2020 2:00 PM in response to mackieshill

Export your Pages document to PDF.

If you are on Mojave or Catalina, download and install the Calibre ebook management application. Within the installer, you simply drag the application icon onto the adjacent application folder link to install it. Once that is done, right-click on Calibre in your /Applications folder, and select Open from the secondary menu. That will show a brief verification progress window, and another dialog will appear. Click the Open button that dialog and Calibre will launch. You won't have to do this again.

With Calibre opened, drag and drop your PDF onto it, select that entry, and from the Toolbar choose Convert Books button. The EPUB default will generate an Apple Books compatible ePUB, so just click OK. When it is done, click on the EPUB link in the sidebar to open the converted EPUB in a separate window. Your images should be faithfully centered. Select the Click to Open link in the sidebar to reveal the generated EPUB in the FInder.

Jun 30, 2020 10:21 PM in response to VikingOSX

Good and bad news.

Bad news: PDF - Calibre route didn't work. Or at least it didn't for me with the default settings. Possibly someone with more knowledge would be able to tweak the settings to get a better version. But mine had major formatting changes, big black squares, changed photos, page numbers in odd places on the page, and text in multiple colours....

Good news: You mentioned in your first response that you'd used "Fixed Layout (because of the images and text)" setting for the compiler process. I had not been doing so. I tried this setting, and the conversion worked perfectly, 100%. Just what I wanted.

So I'm a very happy bunny. Now I can get on with finishing the book.

Very many thanks for all your help and ideas!!!

APPLE PAGES TO CREATE EPUB BOOK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.