Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot open movie with iMovie

When I attempt to open a movie for editing from "Photos" (Right mouse->Edit with->iMovie) I receive the following error:

"The application "iMovie" cannot open the specified document or URL."

This is reproducible each time I try. However, I am able top open "Preview" to edit files etc., the problem seems to be only with iMovie.

Cheers,

Rick

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 11:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 8:01 AM

I have the same finding that you have. Apparently the Photos Edit feature in the drop down menu does not work for iMovie.

The way to access your Photos library from iMovie is to click on the Photos item in the side bar of an iMovie project. That will display your Photos library content in accordance with the display categories from the selection tab at the top of the media browser screen -- Albums, Years, Moments, etc. Or you can type in the name of the file in the search box that has a Q: next to it. For this to work your Photos library must be designated as the Photos system library in the Photos app general preferences.

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 8:01 AM in response to Roger Rex

I have the same finding that you have. Apparently the Photos Edit feature in the drop down menu does not work for iMovie.

The way to access your Photos library from iMovie is to click on the Photos item in the side bar of an iMovie project. That will display your Photos library content in accordance with the display categories from the selection tab at the top of the media browser screen -- Albums, Years, Moments, etc. Or you can type in the name of the file in the search box that has a Q: next to it. For this to work your Photos library must be designated as the Photos system library in the Photos app general preferences.

-- Rich

Photos cannot open movie with iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.