Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match not a feature in Apple Music any more?

Since about 2 months, Music App has changed towards worse.

1) Songs which are not purchased cannot be uploaded to the Cloud and be part of Apple Music Playlists as it used to be.

2) Previously when adding a (non-Apple Music) song to an Apple Music Playlist there was a warning (still there is) that the Playlist will be removed from the Cloud. Then an icon next to Playlist was indicating this status, so one knew what's going on in his Playlists. Now the playlist simply disappears from the other devices.

3) When making playlists in non Apple Music accounts one could number the track from the Get Info Menu then drag and drop at Desktop and the title of the song had that number. Which is no more the case.

Not sure if the above are conscious changes or some bugs. In any case, the missing iMatch feature should't be for Apple Music subscribers. As per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204146

'If you have an Apple Music membership, you get all of the benefits of iTunes Match, plus access to the entire Apple Music catalog.'

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 4:18 AM

1. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support to check on the status of any tracks that will not match or upload. There are certain exclusions for length, size, etc. In addition tracks that have been purchased from another Apple ID cannot be used, although you can make copies that will be acceptable.
  2. Don't added excluded content to lists that you wish to be shared. Use the status columns to check for excluded content and remove the list if you want it to be available elsewhere.
  3. Whether or not metadate changes you make in iTunes or the Music app affects the underlying file depends on the location of the file, the preference for the media folder location, and the option to Keep files in the media folder organized. If that setting is off, or the file is located outside of the media folder, then its filename or path won't be updated to reflect changes. When you drag & drop a track from the application to the desktop you get a copy of the file with its current filename.

tt2

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 4:18 AM in response to cinq__

1. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support to check on the status of any tracks that will not match or upload. There are certain exclusions for length, size, etc. In addition tracks that have been purchased from another Apple ID cannot be used, although you can make copies that will be acceptable.
  2. Don't added excluded content to lists that you wish to be shared. Use the status columns to check for excluded content and remove the list if you want it to be available elsewhere.
  3. Whether or not metadate changes you make in iTunes or the Music app affects the underlying file depends on the location of the file, the preference for the media folder location, and the option to Keep files in the media folder organized. If that setting is off, or the file is located outside of the media folder, then its filename or path won't be updated to reflect changes. When you drag & drop a track from the application to the desktop you get a copy of the file with its current filename.

tt2

Jul 9, 2020 8:00 AM in response to cinq__

Open Music > Preferences > File.

What is the location of the Media folder?

What are the settings for Keep... and Copy...?

Use Cmd+I (Song Info) on a track that you want to export.

Is it inside the Media folder?

Does the track number in the current path reflect the track number in the library?

When you drag & drop to the desktop I presume the current filename is used as is, even if the track number is missing or incorrect.

If you want exported tracks to show the right track number then I think you need to fix them at source. This would normally be done by enabling Keep... and, if needed, consolidating media so that it is inside the media folder. Files outside the media folder don't get get their paths updated when you change metadata. The Copy... option ensures new additions are copied into the media folder rather than being referenced wherever they happen to be.

tt2

Jul 5, 2020 4:44 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your tip for reply 1.

Regarding your reply 2:

There's (mostly) no more icons described in the link. Before the icon with strikethrough cloud was appearing next to Playlist title and was extremely handy. You knew that your playlist is not synced and you knew which song is doing that. Now the playlist just disappears from the other devices, without indication on the Mac.

Regarding your reply 3:

I tried with both keep media folder organized on and off. Same result. Speaking for Music App not connected to Apple Music this time. In Apple Music never worked, any metadata changes would last only temporarily and after a while info would be back to normal.

But for Music App not connected to Apple Music, before I was dragging and dropping playlists and the number was appearing as per my input in Get Info. Now I get just the song title, I must add the number in title manually.

Jul 9, 2020 3:56 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks but no. There is no permissions issue.

In the meantime, after 4 full days, those songs are still with dashed cloud icon they haven't been uploaded and naturally my Playlist does not appear to other devices.

This happens since May before I never have such issues, or at least not for such long.

*In May I did a clean install I wander if this has anything to do with that..

Jul 9, 2020 6:36 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks this seems to work.

Regarding the metadata issue do you have another workaround?

It's weird; When I drag & drop, for some songs it kinda* works, for others, zero.

*For songs added previously it may show another (!) number than the one I input (but it does show something). For the newest songs there's no number at all.

iTunes Match not a feature in Apple Music any more?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.