Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos library indicates 334gb but no photos

recently i logged off from my iCloud using my MacbookPro Mid 2012 then i saved the downloaded photos to my external hard drive. i tried to delete all the photos in the Photo Library which was unsuccessful and i ended up shutting down the unit but now it still indicates 334gb on the folder but no photos when i open it. the Trash Bin and Recently deleted folders are both empty. need help please

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 11:02 PM

So ALL your photos and movies are archived on the external drive? And you have deleted them from Photos.app library and emptied its trash? And iCloud photo stream etc are not active? And despite that the Photos.app library package in Finder is still 334 GB?

If yes, then you could trash the old Photos.app library via the Finder and empty the Mac's trash. Might need to reboot the Mac so the old library is forgotten.

But first double-check that there is nothing you might miss from the old library. You could open its package via ctrl-open and poke around in its folders if there is something you might save.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 11:02 PM in response to flyby320

So ALL your photos and movies are archived on the external drive? And you have deleted them from Photos.app library and emptied its trash? And iCloud photo stream etc are not active? And despite that the Photos.app library package in Finder is still 334 GB?

If yes, then you could trash the old Photos.app library via the Finder and empty the Mac's trash. Might need to reboot the Mac so the old library is forgotten.

But first double-check that there is nothing you might miss from the old library. You could open its package via ctrl-open and poke around in its folders if there is something you might save.

Jul 6, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks for you Help Matti. That was spot on. Another issue came up though and maybe you could help me again.

Other = 105Gb

Upon Checking User =155gb

Under User is Pictures = 52gb

Applications = 11Gb

The extra 80gb or so i cannot find when i used the Get Info on all the folders under User. It could have been the old Photos app that i deleted but i just dont know where to look.

photos library indicates 334gb but no photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.