Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMAC and MAC BOOK AIR Can't connect to UK govt website!!

Hi There - this is annoying and wondered if anyone out there has the knowledge and solution?

Safari cannot go onto the UK's Government website:

https://www.gov.uk

The iMAC won't load it and the MAC BOOK AIR won't either, but I can go on no problems with two iPhones running safari ....

Why on earth are the Macs (running Catalina) not loading the website?

I have tried with and without anti virus, I have no content blockers running.

Help please!

Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 6:25 PM

I tried that site and it loaded fine for me. I tried it on several Macs running OS from 10.11 to 10.15, it loaded on all of them. If you have anti-virus installed, even when you turn it off it is still there and may impact your computer's behaviors. Other background programs you may have installed can also impact sites not loading. By the way, it also loaded on the work laptop I have on which my employer requires Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise to be installed (I can't even remove it from that laptop if I wanted to).

I don't doubt you when you say they won't load. What do your two computers have in common (I imagine you have set them up similarly and installed similar software) that is different from a plain computer just purchased?

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2020 6:25 PM in response to DrewTried

I tried that site and it loaded fine for me. I tried it on several Macs running OS from 10.11 to 10.15, it loaded on all of them. If you have anti-virus installed, even when you turn it off it is still there and may impact your computer's behaviors. Other background programs you may have installed can also impact sites not loading. By the way, it also loaded on the work laptop I have on which my employer requires Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise to be installed (I can't even remove it from that laptop if I wanted to).

I don't doubt you when you say they won't load. What do your two computers have in common (I imagine you have set them up similarly and installed similar software) that is different from a plain computer just purchased?

Jul 7, 2020 8:33 AM in response to DrewTried

DrewTried wrote:

I am curious why the app is in your opinion unnecessary?

Thanks once more

Andy

Because there are no Mac virus' out there to infect your computer.

Because third party antivirus apps use system resources while providing no benefit.

Because third party antivirus apps cause problems as you have discovered.

macOS - Security - Apple

Set up your Mac to be secure - Apple Support

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Jul 7, 2020 4:40 AM in response to steve626

Hi Steve,

Well I wouldn't like to admit it as I have been loyal to them for 15 years, but it was Panda Antivirus! I removed it and it was fine. So I recovered Panda from Time Machine once more, restarted it and it still takes me to the UK GOVT website, so something went wrong, but now resolved!

Many Thanks - I probably needed a push on my loyalties!!

Jul 12, 2020 4:49 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi Bob,

I read all the articles you kindly sent me and really useful!

I have cancelled my anti virus subscription and things are fine - yep - I never ran into overlooked viruses by my Mac, so I guess I am a typical PC.... to Apple user! I would get frequent viruses stopped by panda back then!

Thanks so much - it has put my mind to rest and saved me a few bucks as well !

Regards

Andy

iMAC and MAC BOOK AIR Can't connect to UK govt website!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.