Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adaptive limiter still clipping mix bus

Good evening

Using the adaptive limiter, I have it set at -0.1 which should mean its NOT clipping, but my stereo out is in the red!

Does this mean its clipping or not?

Many thanks

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 3:17 AM

Most things I mix are sent to dedicated mastering engineers but I often make 'listening' copies for clients.

Because I don't know what DAC they will be listening back on I make my 'listening' copies peak at -0.3dbfs. With streaming services there are differeing targets they set as a *guide* and they vary a lot.

For example, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Deezer all set a guide of -1.0dbTP. dbTP is True Peak (which is actually dbfs but measured with a true peak meter).

It's not that difficult unless you want to do a physics degree. Thing is, you don't NEED to do a physics degree, just leave headroom. The -0.1dbfs you're getting from old school 44.1khz @ 16bit CD guidelines which STILL clipped some DAC. Mastering engineers I have used never really pushed mastering for CD to -0.1db, again, for safety in the face of lesser DAC's.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2020 3:17 AM in response to kerochan

Most things I mix are sent to dedicated mastering engineers but I often make 'listening' copies for clients.

Because I don't know what DAC they will be listening back on I make my 'listening' copies peak at -0.3dbfs. With streaming services there are differeing targets they set as a *guide* and they vary a lot.

For example, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Deezer all set a guide of -1.0dbTP. dbTP is True Peak (which is actually dbfs but measured with a true peak meter).

It's not that difficult unless you want to do a physics degree. Thing is, you don't NEED to do a physics degree, just leave headroom. The -0.1dbfs you're getting from old school 44.1khz @ 16bit CD guidelines which STILL clipped some DAC. Mastering engineers I have used never really pushed mastering for CD to -0.1db, again, for safety in the face of lesser DAC's.

Jul 8, 2020 10:20 PM in response to kerochan

In addition. Make sure you enable "True Peak Detection" on the Limiter. Technically, even if you set the Output Ceiling to -0.1dB you could end up with clipping due to Inter-sample Peaks.

May I ask why you set your ceiling at -0.1dB

• If you bounce to aiff or wav file then you could end with clipping when listened on a "not so good" DA converter
    • If you encode your file later to mp3 or AAC, you could also end up with clipping due to encoding algorithm artifacts
    • If you want to send to streaming services, you will violate various standards that require a -1dBTP (sometimes -2dBTP) headroom

Hope that helps,

Edgar Rothermich

Graphically Enhanced Manuals (GEM)

www.LogicProGEM.com

https://www.youtube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/

Jul 9, 2020 9:22 PM in response to kerochan

kerochan wrote:

Hi Edgar
I have been taught to set it to -0.1/0.2 db
What should it be set to?

Who taught that?

But seriously, the important question is "Why should IT be set to xyz" and not so much "What should IT be set to xyz".

I know that watching YouTube provides a nice illusion of "knowledge" that makes many users believe they know what they are doing because they follow a specific advice. However, knowledge is not the accumulation of a bunch of cookie cutter advice, the same as a good chef is not someone who collects a lot of recipes without knowing anything about cooking.

You find tons of advice on how to set the output level. However, that is irrelevant, because the answer to so many questions if "IT DEPENDS". And for that you have to have some background knowledge in order to make a wise decision instead of blindly following a specific advice.

To properly answer the question (and understand it) regarding the output level, you have to have some kind of understanding of the the surrounding topics (dB, floating v.s fixed, Tru Peak, Loudness vs. Peak, perceptual coding, Target Levels, etc.), and again, depending on what your specific situation is (listening copy, copy for mastering, copy for vinyl, copy for streaming, Stems, etc.)

Another aspect is Right vs. Wrong in audio production. Although there is often a specific recommendation/specification on doing things, at the end it is up to you to decide what you want to achieve, what you like, and know what the "consequences" are to go against a specific recommendation.

For example, if you understand the basic concept behind digital clipping, then you can still go ahead and drive your track into full clipping if you like the sound of it. Maybe you will set a new trend. Or if you know that iTunes uses a -16LUFS Target Level, then you can go ahead and mix a song with a -3LUFS Integrated Loudness, as long as you know what happens to your song when it will be played back on your iPhone and if you are ok with that.

Back to your question "What level should your Output Ceiling be set to?", the answer is "It Depends (on many things)"

Jul 9, 2020 9:34 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

This is a perfect example of information is not knowledge, and knowledge is not wisdom.

With the advent of Google, getting a high school class to learn AP music theory is a near impossible task, now they must leave their phones at the door or they fail. Much better.

Mixing is an art, you don't waltz into painting 101 and manage a Rembrandt, although you can do something creative, I'm all for that! But if you want to develop real skills it takes time, and effort...and it takes experimentation... to figure out how a Compressor, Limiter, EQ, Delay or Reverb serves your needs.

Jul 10, 2020 4:53 AM in response to kerochan

If you're a songwriter, use whatever software, hardware, pencil, pen, paper notebook....etc. Use whatever it takes to get it done. If logic is too convoluted, find something that works for you. I've started off projects with a band-in-the-box drum track just to get form/structure started. It's the end product that counts. Find something that inspires, a beautiful piano, guitar or woman (not necessarily in that order). In India, the rock on the ground outside your front door can be a god, if it inspires you to greater spirituality.....it simply doesnt matter.

Adaptive limiter still clipping mix bus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.