Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera not working

My macbook pro OS 10.15.5 camera is not working. I have been working on this issue for a couple days now. I have tried so many recommended fixes and none have worked. I have done a new install of the OS from recovery. When I do this the camera will work but when I turn the computer off and reboot the problem is back. The message I get with face time is "no camera available. To use a camera with face time connect a camera". So, for some reason the OS isn't recognizing there is a camera in the clamshell. If anyone has a suggestion I would surely appreciate it.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 12:31 PM

Hey there dds86,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re running into some camera issues with your MacBook Pro. We’ll be happy to help with this.

If you haven’t already, do an SMC and NVRAM reset and see if this has any impact on the issue you’re experiencing:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac 

Disconnect any accessories or peripherals as well to make sure this isn’t related.

Then test in safe mode as well:

How to use safe mode on your Mac 

If that doesn’t help, run an Apple Diagnostics and see if it reports any issues with the built-in camera:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2020 12:31 PM in response to dds86

Hey there dds86,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re running into some camera issues with your MacBook Pro. We’ll be happy to help with this.

If you haven’t already, do an SMC and NVRAM reset and see if this has any impact on the issue you’re experiencing:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac 

Disconnect any accessories or peripherals as well to make sure this isn’t related.

Then test in safe mode as well:

How to use safe mode on your Mac 

If that doesn’t help, run an Apple Diagnostics and see if it reports any issues with the built-in camera:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

We hope this helps.

Take care.

camera not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.