Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD My Passport drive crashes 2015 iMac

I have been using the 2TB drive with no issues for a couple of years, when yesterday I found that the drive crashes the computer immediately upon restart or plugging it in...

Normally I would say, "oh well, bad drive"...but I plugged it in to my Macbook Air and can access it with no problem.

I reformatted the drive, but but nothing changed, runs fine on the Air, but crashes the iMac.

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 7:39 AM

A couple of things may be in-play here:

1. The self-powered WD My Passport may be drawing too much power from your iMac's USB port. Typically using an powered USB hub can solve this.
  2. The iMac's USB port, itself, could be faulty. Trying another port may confirm this. If all of them are affected, then I would suggest performing a SMC reset may prove helpful.

Ref:  How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2020 7:39 AM in response to dirwuf

A couple of things may be in-play here:

1. The self-powered WD My Passport may be drawing too much power from your iMac's USB port. Typically using an powered USB hub can solve this.
  2. The iMac's USB port, itself, could be faulty. Trying another port may confirm this. If all of them are affected, then I would suggest performing a SMC reset may prove helpful.

Ref:  How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 10, 2020 7:55 AM in response to dirwuf

Sorry, I really don't have anything else to offer. FWIW, I use WD My Passports for years and they typically have been very reliable My only issue was with their implementation of SmartWare via a Virtual CD (VCD) that takes up space as a separate partition on the drive. Hopefully, someone else using these drives, will chime in and offer you a potential solution. Good luck!

WD My Passport drive crashes 2015 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.