Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

small piece of glass broke of the trackpad

Last Friday I bought a new MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2020. Monday, two days later I discovered that in the upper left of the trackpad a small piece of glass, like 2mm was broken off.

immediately we drove back to the shop to ask for advice. They announced that Apple doesn't provide any warranty on the trackpad or on the enclosure. I have to accept my loss.

I have a sour feeling in my mouth. Does a new laptop of this quality breaks so easy?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2020 12:08 PM

I've never seen anything like that on any of the Apple laptops I've ever repaired. Usually when a user cracks the trackpad it is much more severe. I'm not even sure how a user could break such a small area like that shown in your picture without having other signs of damage in the area. Without seeing the laptop in person I cannot be sure, but from the photo it looks like a manufacturing defect in the Trackpad glass.

Did you purchase it at an Apple Store or a third party store? Apple lets you return a laptop if you are unhappy with it for any reason and you are well within the return period since it has only been two days. I'm not sure how it works when a third party is involved or when there is a defect/damage like shown.

I would ask to speak with a manager to see if the manager will help you with exchanging the laptop for another one.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Rinkel

I've never seen anything like that on any of the Apple laptops I've ever repaired. Usually when a user cracks the trackpad it is much more severe. I'm not even sure how a user could break such a small area like that shown in your picture without having other signs of damage in the area. Without seeing the laptop in person I cannot be sure, but from the photo it looks like a manufacturing defect in the Trackpad glass.

Did you purchase it at an Apple Store or a third party store? Apple lets you return a laptop if you are unhappy with it for any reason and you are well within the return period since it has only been two days. I'm not sure how it works when a third party is involved or when there is a defect/damage like shown.

I would ask to speak with a manager to see if the manager will help you with exchanging the laptop for another one.

small piece of glass broke of the trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.