Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to send/receive texts to/from USA non iPhone users.

I lived in the States til recently. My iPhone 8plus was purchased there. As soon as I landed in Portugal (and ultimately England), I noticed I wasn’t able to text/call non iPhone users. I didn’t bother too much as I knew there would be overseas charges so I used apps (messenger WhatsApp etc.). I tried to call/text a non iPhone user but to no avail. My all USA users group text, that has been active for nine years, also stopped coming (I’m still in the group, just don’t receive the texts). I finally switched to a UK (EE) provider but the issue is still ongoing. I CAN call a non iPhone US number but not text. I can text/call a non iPhone UK number without issue. EE are not really helping so I’m wondering if this is an apple issue, as opposed to EE as this started as soon as I left the USA.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 1:47 PM

Hello JohnnyRedDevil,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're unable to send or receive SMS/MMS on your iPhone after traveling to another country. You're in the right place to find a resolution.

If you don't have an international data plan with your carrier, it can be normal for cellular features such as messaging not to work. Since it sounds like you're now using a local carrier, let's start by trying the suggestions here:

About cellular data roaming options for your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

"Get help when you have roaming issues during international travel

1. Turn on Airplane Mode for about 30 seconds. Then turn it off again and let your iPhone automatically select the best network. 
  2. If you see No Service in the status bar of your iPhone, open Settings and tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data. Tap Cellular Data Options and make sure that Data Roaming is on. Then, to check that international roaming is turned on for your account, contact your carrier.
  3. If the date and time are wrong after you arrive, go to Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure that Set Automatically is turned on.

Still need help? If so, here's what to do:

1. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Network and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes.
  2. Tap the carrier that you want.
  3. Go back to the main Settings screen and wait for your iPhone or iPad to connect to the network.
  4. If you still need help, try a different SIM card or contact your carrier for more information."

You may also want to check that you have Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, and Group Messaging enabled under Settings > Messages. If you're still unable to send or receive SMS/MMS, try these steps next:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the behavior persists, we'd suggest contacting EE to confirm that you have an active cellular data and messaging plan as SMS/MMS is a carrier controlled feature. If you are using Group MMS as opposed to group iMessage, this would also explain why you're no longer receiving group messages as well.

Take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 1:47 PM in response to JohnnyRedDevil

Hello JohnnyRedDevil,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're unable to send or receive SMS/MMS on your iPhone after traveling to another country. You're in the right place to find a resolution.

If you don't have an international data plan with your carrier, it can be normal for cellular features such as messaging not to work. Since it sounds like you're now using a local carrier, let's start by trying the suggestions here:

About cellular data roaming options for your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

"Get help when you have roaming issues during international travel

1. Turn on Airplane Mode for about 30 seconds. Then turn it off again and let your iPhone automatically select the best network. 
  2. If you see No Service in the status bar of your iPhone, open Settings and tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data. Tap Cellular Data Options and make sure that Data Roaming is on. Then, to check that international roaming is turned on for your account, contact your carrier.
  3. If the date and time are wrong after you arrive, go to Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure that Set Automatically is turned on.

Still need help? If so, here's what to do:

1. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Network and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes.
  2. Tap the carrier that you want.
  3. Go back to the main Settings screen and wait for your iPhone or iPad to connect to the network.
  4. If you still need help, try a different SIM card or contact your carrier for more information."

You may also want to check that you have Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, and Group Messaging enabled under Settings > Messages. If you're still unable to send or receive SMS/MMS, try these steps next:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the behavior persists, we'd suggest contacting EE to confirm that you have an active cellular data and messaging plan as SMS/MMS is a carrier controlled feature. If you are using Group MMS as opposed to group iMessage, this would also explain why you're no longer receiving group messages as well.

Take care.

Not able to send/receive texts to/from USA non iPhone users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.