Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change computer name

Hi,

I know how to change the computer's name, however, I can't - it's greyed out - and there's no lock icon to unlock this setting. Rest assured - this is all after a complete OS wipe. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro on latest Catalina OS

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 2:46 AM

Hello,

I can change my local hostname (=when I click 'Edit') however there's no option to change my computer name:

I've found some resources which have suggested I should click the LOCK icon to unlock these settings, as some settings are protected, however, there's no lock...anywhere.

3 replies

Jul 21, 2020 11:32 AM in response to lajos.andrejkovics

Hi there lajos.andrejkovics,

Thank you for choosing Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you’re looking to change the name of your Mac computer. You’re in the right place, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Below is a resource that can help. What happens when you click the "Edit" button below the computer's name?

Change your computer’s name or local hostname on Mac

If you’re instead looking to change the name of your macOS User account and home holder, this resource provides steps that can be used:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Have a great day!

Aug 3, 2020 8:24 AM in response to lajos.andrejkovics

lajos.andrejkovics,

Thank you for replying back with the updated information around what you’re seeing when changing your computers name.

We would advise checking to see if there are any profiles installed that could restrict changing the name:

Use configuration profiles to standardize settings on Mac computers

If there are no configuration profiles installed, let’s check to see if the issue occurs within a new user using this resource below:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

We hope this helps,

Cheers!

Cannot change computer name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.