Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to extend AirPort Extreme Base to outdoor patio

I have an AirPort Extreme Base Station in my home office. I want to 'extend' the range/power to my backyard patio TV. I DO have a coax cable TV hardwire to that TV. But I want to get better 'streaming' out in that patio - and am assuming I need better wifi in order to use my SMART TV better. What can I do? Thx.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 5:59 PM

and NOW Apple doesn't even make them at all anymore...

That is why I mentioned that you could find AirPorts, both refurbished and used on Ebay (at bargain prices).

So he told me to go out and get a MESH router

That is an option if you don't want to spend $30-50 for another AirPort to match your current model.

There are all kinds of newer mesh WiFi systems coming out in the near future.......WiFi 6 and 802.11ax......for example. If it were me, I would hold off on a current mesh system because it will likely be behind the technology curve in just a year or two. (Mesh systems have not changed much in the last few years.)

If you decide to go the mesh route, then you won't use your current AirPort Extreme at all since you would not want to mix products from different manufacturers. Look for at least a 2 piece mesh system. With a 3,000 sq ft house, that really calls for a 3 piece system if you want better coverage throughout the house.

It's your call. Good luck!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 5:59 PM in response to 1qazfromprosper

and NOW Apple doesn't even make them at all anymore...

That is why I mentioned that you could find AirPorts, both refurbished and used on Ebay (at bargain prices).

So he told me to go out and get a MESH router

That is an option if you don't want to spend $30-50 for another AirPort to match your current model.

There are all kinds of newer mesh WiFi systems coming out in the near future.......WiFi 6 and 802.11ax......for example. If it were me, I would hold off on a current mesh system because it will likely be behind the technology curve in just a year or two. (Mesh systems have not changed much in the last few years.)

If you decide to go the mesh route, then you won't use your current AirPort Extreme at all since you would not want to mix products from different manufacturers. Look for at least a 2 piece mesh system. With a 3,000 sq ft house, that really calls for a 3 piece system if you want better coverage throughout the house.

It's your call. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2020 1:40 PM in response to 1qazfromprosper

You have 3 options starting with the best performance and working on down.

1) Install another router.....preferably the same AirPort model.....on or very near the patio area and connect it back to the "main" AirPort Extreme using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection

2) Install another router.....preferably the same AirPort model.....on or very near the patio area and use a pair of Ethernet over powerline adapters to send the signal over the existing AC wiring in your home. The theory with these devices is that you already have the wiring in place, you just need the adapters. This option is not as good as option 1) above, but far better than option 3) below

3) Install another router......it must be an AirPort model, preferably also an AirPort Extreme like your main router in a room just inside the patio area and set it up to connect back to the main AirPort using a wireless connection. Unfortunately, you will lose at least half of the potential speed on the network when you do this, so this is by far the least desirable option......performance wise......to extend a network. Not recommended, but it might work OK for your purposes. No way to know how well.....or if.....it will work until you try it out in your home.

Refurbished and used AirPorts are available on Ebay. Try to use the same model as the "main" AirPort Extreme for best performance.

Jul 17, 2020 5:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

OK, Bob, I also called apple support. They told me that my AirPort Extreme Router was discontinued 8 yrs ago. Apple THEN came out with a newer one - lasted a few years - and NOW Apple doesn't even make them at all anymore...? So he told me to go out and get a MESH router - many companies out there (I will read reviews ). He said this MESH would be 'longer range', will handle interference better, and much faster than the 8 yr old one I have. "Rather than spending $$ upgrading your system - go start fresh with lots better. stuff ". I may try it with only one additional node (?) as my 3,000 sf house is all ok - just will use the additional node to broadcast outside to my patio 100 ft away. Cost : $150 - 200. I'm too old to want to spend much time/effort with this - if I can throw $200 and make it last the rest of my relatively short life left - I'm good with that. Whadday think ? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2020 7:40 PM in response to 1qazfromprosper

Even if Apple was still offering AirPorts, it would not have made sense to spend $200 on a new AirPort to go with an 8 year old AirPort, which you will likely replace in the next few years. So, I gave you a low cost option.

If you are ready to replace the 8 year old AirPort at this time, then it makes sense to look for a new mesh system now and not worry about "new" mesh systems that are due to arrive in the next year or two.

For what its worth, my neighbor is very happy with his Netgear Orbi mesh system, which he installed about 6 months ago. The system has 3 units to cover about a 2200 sq ft house and the pool area outside.

How to extend AirPort Extreme Base to outdoor patio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.