Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted Group Message

I mistakenly sent a text to my son and included another contact which is a landline. Now every time I tell Siri to send a message to my son it goes to a "group." I can't seem to figure out how to delete the group or remove the landline contact from texts to my son when using Siri.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2020 6:05 AM

1. Go back to your list of active iMessage conversations by tapping the blue arrow in the top left.
  2. Find the group chat
  3. Swipe left on the group chat
  4. Tap Delete

Follow any further on-screen prompts to delete the conversation from there.

Do this on both you and your sons phones. Then create a new conversation with just him in it.

Let me know if the steps are unclear, happy to clarify if necessary.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2020 6:05 AM in response to UnwantedGroup

1. Go back to your list of active iMessage conversations by tapping the blue arrow in the top left.
  2. Find the group chat
  3. Swipe left on the group chat
  4. Tap Delete

Follow any further on-screen prompts to delete the conversation from there.

Do this on both you and your sons phones. Then create a new conversation with just him in it.

Let me know if the steps are unclear, happy to clarify if necessary.

Jul 20, 2020 6:43 AM in response to UnwantedGroup

See if Siri still does the same if you make the request more specific. For example, say to Siri "Send a text to John Appleseed" and then when she asks what you would like the message to say, speak your message. She'll ask for confirmation, then say to Siri something like "Yes, send it."

See if Siri still creates a group after trying specific requests like this.

Unwanted Group Message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.