Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After updating to Mac OS 10.15.6 I am unable to download files from the internet using either safari or chrome

After updating to Mac OS 10.15.6 I am unable to download files from the internet using either safari or chrome. Only a tiny bit of the file is downloaded (14 bytes) this happens both on safari and chrome. This did not happen before the update.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 7:36 AM

How much free space on your drive?

Does the same problem happen if you boot in Safe Mode? (Note: Safe Mode is sloowww, and not to be used permanently; but by testing in Safe Mode we can determine if the problem is caused by some third party software).

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 7:36 AM in response to cece180

How much free space on your drive?

Does the same problem happen if you boot in Safe Mode? (Note: Safe Mode is sloowww, and not to be used permanently; but by testing in Safe Mode we can determine if the problem is caused by some third party software).

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Aug 2, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Bradford Bosley

More than one antivirus app - This machine has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Antivirus software: Apple, Avast, and Malwarebytes

Your mac does not need a third party antivirus, let alone more than one.

Avast is terrible. Uninstall it.

MalwareBytes is a decent program, but should only be run manually in case there is some suspicion of adware. There is no reason to have it running permanently.

Aug 2, 2020 7:17 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

To make matters worse, you also have remnants of symantec still there.

Plus several old stuff.

You also have Monolingual - this is used to "delete unused languages" but you should NOT do that.

I am sorry to say this mac installation is a mess.

You should really do a full backup or preferably two, then erase and install.

After that, you can migrate back the user accounts ONLY - otherwise you'd be bringing all the problems.

After updating to Mac OS 10.15.6 I am unable to download files from the internet using either safari or chrome

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.