Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating macair when videoconferencing

i took delivery of a new macair 2020, quad core, i7. Using it for videoconferencing on Zoom. I have very similar problems to this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251335370. Problem becomes acute when using 4K video through ATEM Mini or Elgato 4K camlink. Throttles down speed to give terrible time delay or simply freezes the input. Called Apple who don’t accept there’s an issue.

My first solution was to mount macair on a giant heat sink (sheet of aluminium). Helped a bit. Ultimate solution was to surround the machine with ice packs. That worked fine.

but it shouldn’t happen. So regret the purchase. Lovely for emails and other trivial stuff. But horrible for anything more demanding. Start again!

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2020 9:26 AM

The MBA is not the best choice for long periods of videoconferencing. A desktop computer is better for that, especially if it's a primary use of a computer. If a portable is what you need, then a MBP with a fast CPU would have been a better choice. However, keep in mind that notebook computers, these days, have gotten lighter and lighter. That means less space and less metal for handling heat dissipation. Notebook computers are not replacements for desktops but too many users think that they are.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2020 9:26 AM in response to Londonjeff

The MBA is not the best choice for long periods of videoconferencing. A desktop computer is better for that, especially if it's a primary use of a computer. If a portable is what you need, then a MBP with a fast CPU would have been a better choice. However, keep in mind that notebook computers, these days, have gotten lighter and lighter. That means less space and less metal for handling heat dissipation. Notebook computers are not replacements for desktops but too many users think that they are.

Jul 26, 2020 8:20 PM in response to Londonjeff

Of course, it will happen. What you are doing puts enormous stress on the machine streaming HD video. If the fans come on, and the computer doesn't shut down, then all is fine. Temps will rise well over 80ºC, depending on how long you do the streaming continuously. Buy a fan. Get some stick-on rubber feet to raise the rear of the computer an inch above the table. Do not use the computer on your bed or your lap. It's a notebook computer.

Jul 27, 2020 1:21 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. I guess I'd hoped that by buying the most powerful macair I wouldn't be overly stressing it. Looks like I was wrong. I have mounted the macair on a giant aluminium plate as heat sink. And then put ice blocks underneath that. Huge amounts of heat disappated (new ice packs needed each hour). But clearly not a great solution - reminds me of the extended 64k memory I bought for my first ZX80. Needed to balance a carrton of cold milk on top to keep cool.

Tell me, would a macbook pro be much better? Really difficult for folk like me to tell, especially during lockdown when all Apple shops closed.

Must be a problm for many people with the rise in video meetings. BlackMagic forum full of similar issues.

Overheating macair when videoconferencing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.