Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album Ratings in Song View Under Artwork

I just had to restore my whole iTunes library after having a corrupt library file. (Not fun.) One thing that I liked that has completely disappeared was the ability to rate an album in Song view right underneath the album artwork instead of having an entire column dedicated to it. I've looked all through the settings and can't find any way to get that feature back. Could someone help me get this very useful option back into my iTunes library's Song view, please?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 30, 2020 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Aha!

Now that you've posted a screenshot, I've finally worked out what you are looking for - and more importantly, why you're not seeing it! (Even then, it took me a while to figure out the "why" part.)

Remember this screenshot?

So...

On the top bar menu, select Edit/Preferences/General and turn on Show: star ratings.

Using the screenshot below, which shows the General (General Preferences) tab mentioned above:

• note that both the Rating and Album Rating columns are displayed (A.). This will become relevant in a minute*
  • turn on (click on the box B. to add a tick to) the box named Star ratings
  • when you click on the OK button (on the tab) the "heart" icon will move to the right and the spaces for stars (D.) or the stars themselves (E.) will be displayed. It will not display them until you click OK and even then, it may take a couple of seconds:

So - that really is it, isn't it?

--------------------------------

* More about the option:

• Curiously, when you turn Show: Star ratings on (B.), although it will display the stars at point E, it will not turn on either of the columns (ratings, or album ratings) in A. You have to turn them on separately
    • However - if the columns at point A ^ are on, and you turn off the Show: Star Ratings (B.), both the rating and the album rating columns (A.) will turn off
    • You do not need to show either the Rating or the Album Rating columns in order for D. or E. to be displayed

Very curious.

^ Typing error corrected by author after initial posting.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2020 3:25 PM in response to cl_ellison

Aha!

Now that you've posted a screenshot, I've finally worked out what you are looking for - and more importantly, why you're not seeing it! (Even then, it took me a while to figure out the "why" part.)

Remember this screenshot?

So...

On the top bar menu, select Edit/Preferences/General and turn on Show: star ratings.

Using the screenshot below, which shows the General (General Preferences) tab mentioned above:

• note that both the Rating and Album Rating columns are displayed (A.). This will become relevant in a minute*
  • turn on (click on the box B. to add a tick to) the box named Star ratings
  • when you click on the OK button (on the tab) the "heart" icon will move to the right and the spaces for stars (D.) or the stars themselves (E.) will be displayed. It will not display them until you click OK and even then, it may take a couple of seconds:

So - that really is it, isn't it?

--------------------------------

* More about the option:

• Curiously, when you turn Show: Star ratings on (B.), although it will display the stars at point E, it will not turn on either of the columns (ratings, or album ratings) in A. You have to turn them on separately
    • However - if the columns at point A ^ are on, and you turn off the Show: Star Ratings (B.), both the rating and the album rating columns (A.) will turn off
    • You do not need to show either the Rating or the Album Rating columns in order for D. or E. to be displayed

Very curious.

^ Typing error corrected by author after initial posting.

Aug 5, 2020 8:35 AM in response to cl_ellison

• In the Songs view (1.)
  • On iTunes' top bar menu, click on View (2.) and select Show View Options (3.) on the menu list
  • On the pop-up View Options display, click in the Show Artwork box (4.):

As you can see in the screenshot, the artwork is shown to the right of the View Options display, together with the album's star rating. Is that what you're after?

Simply click on the red X on the View Options top bar to close that display.

Aug 5, 2020 12:27 PM in response to cl_ellison

I read your post when it first appeared, but decided then that I wasn't really sure what you were after. I've re-read it too, along with the response from rose_10, and I thought I had understood it now.

You specifically asked for a view that showed the album rating under the artwork but in the Songs view. I have pictured the Songs view, with artwork and the album rating as well. It really is the album rating, even though the stars are to the side of the artwork, not underneath it. And - you can change the album's rating there too.

Do you mean the column shown in the screenshot below, even though it has nothing to do with the artwork? I had assumed the answer to be no, since you cannot change the album rating in that column (and I suspect you've never been able to do so). The album rating is changed by clicking on the stars next to the artwork.

Can you post a screenshot showing where you expect this section to be displayed?

Aug 5, 2020 1:29 PM in response to cl_ellison

Left-click on the heading (Album Rating) and drag it to the position you prefer. In the screenshot below, I'm dragging the Album Rating column to the right:

As previously stated, you cannot change the album rating in that column. To change an album's rating, you have to use the stars the the right of the artwork (and to the left of the "heart" icon.

Aug 5, 2020 1:17 PM in response to the fiend

Yes! This is it! Thank you so much for your effort! I was speaking about the album rating showing next to the artwork. Please forgive me and my faulty memory, as I was mistaken that it was underneath the artwork instead of beside it. However, when I enable the Album Rating column, I still don't see the album rating ability next to the artwork. What am I doing wrong?

Album Ratings in Song View Under Artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.