Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover data from Hard Drive on MacBook Air 2019?

Hi,

Unfortunately my younger one spilled some water on the MacBook Air 2019 and I'm unable to switch it on. I took it to a repair store and they could not fix it due to high damage on the board. I have plugged in the hard drive as external with the new notebook to recover data but some of the files seem affected due to minor damage on the hard drive (according to the technician). These files are extremely important and I need to recover this data any how!!!

Can someone please advice how can I restore the damaged files to recover the data?

Kindly consider it a matter of urgency.

Regards,

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 1:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 6:55 PM

You should recover the files from a backup made before the accident. It is possible the liquid damage did not cause the file corruption, but the corruption occurred due to some other issue which you didn't notice before if the file hasn't been accessed in a while. If you have been backing up your system, then you can try looking at older backups for a copy of the file before the corruption occurred.

Once a file is corrupted, there is nothing you can do except to take the data still available and fix it yourself by manually re-editing the file again as when you created it originally. Recovery from a backup is the only way that may provide you a good copy of the file or an earlier version that is nearly identical to the version desired.

I hope you will now start frequent & regular backups to minimize the chances of data loss. FYI, SSDs can fail at any time without any warning signs. Plus you are even lucky that you can access any data at all from a damaged Logic Board on these newer Macs.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 6:55 PM in response to Eddie_1647

You should recover the files from a backup made before the accident. It is possible the liquid damage did not cause the file corruption, but the corruption occurred due to some other issue which you didn't notice before if the file hasn't been accessed in a while. If you have been backing up your system, then you can try looking at older backups for a copy of the file before the corruption occurred.

Once a file is corrupted, there is nothing you can do except to take the data still available and fix it yourself by manually re-editing the file again as when you created it originally. Recovery from a backup is the only way that may provide you a good copy of the file or an earlier version that is nearly identical to the version desired.

I hope you will now start frequent & regular backups to minimize the chances of data loss. FYI, SSDs can fail at any time without any warning signs. Plus you are even lucky that you can access any data at all from a damaged Logic Board on these newer Macs.

How do I recover data from Hard Drive on MacBook Air 2019?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.