Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I upgrade to iMovie 10.1.8 on High Sierra?

My iMovie is crashing every time I export any project since recently upgrading to High Sierra.

My copy is 10.1.1 and I understand from other posts such as https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8299452 that I should upgrade to 10.1.8 which is intended for High Sierra but the challenge is how. The app store offers me 10.1.14 for which I need a later OS, and if I sign into the app store and go to purchases, while I do see an 'Upgrade' option, it doesn't do anything, nor is iMovie listed in my options in the Upgrades 'tab'

How can I upgrade and (hopefully) fix my export issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 8:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2020 9:22 AM

Try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of

the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2020 9:22 AM in response to TidyMartin

Try this procedure:

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of

the app store side bar. (NOTE: For El Capitan and older, click on the Purchases tab at the top of the app store screen and then sign in. Click on Purchases again to reveal your purchases.)  You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

-- Rich

How can I upgrade to iMovie 10.1.8 on High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.