Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I save a pdf document from a link, it saves it as an xml file rather than pdf

How can I save a pdf file from a link (without opening it first) as a pdf? I click on it, tell it to download, and it downloads it as an xml file. If I just open the file from the link, it is a pdf file, so it isn't a problem with the link. The site I'm downloading from has a separate link to a Word document, and that one works just fine to save it as a Word document. Why wouldn't the pdf one work as it should?

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 11:24 AM

Right now, I am using a brand-x, two-button + scroll-wheel wired mouse while waiting for the Magic Mouse 2 to finish charging. In System Preferences : Mouse, I have enabled the Secondary click under Point & Click. That permits a right-click of the Magic Mouse to get the secondary menu I previously posted. With the third-party mouse, using no third-party s/w, I can just right-click to bring up that secondary menu. If you are using a trackpad, you can configure two-finger touch to enable a right-click.

Using Safari 13.1.2 on Catalina 10.15.6.

You provided a link to the landing page, but not the actual PDF link.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2020 11:24 AM in response to aslsigns

Right now, I am using a brand-x, two-button + scroll-wheel wired mouse while waiting for the Magic Mouse 2 to finish charging. In System Preferences : Mouse, I have enabled the Secondary click under Point & Click. That permits a right-click of the Magic Mouse to get the secondary menu I previously posted. With the third-party mouse, using no third-party s/w, I can just right-click to bring up that secondary menu. If you are using a trackpad, you can configure two-finger touch to enable a right-click.

Using Safari 13.1.2 on Catalina 10.15.6.

You provided a link to the landing page, but not the actual PDF link.

Aug 1, 2020 7:29 AM in response to aslsigns

Does this happen to all pdf file downloads from links? Or just certain ones from certain places?

Maybe not optimal, but one workaround you might try is to use the control-click "Download Linked File as..." option and explicitly tack the .pdf onto the filename if it isn't already there.

Aug 1, 2020 8:51 AM in response to aslsigns

Some sites that are using a content management system (e.g. Drupal, etc.) establish server-side links on the site that point to the real file on the server, and by doing that, these links need not administratively altered for external access, if the actual PDF file has a name change.

You will know if you are looking at a CMS managed site, because the browser status bar link will not end in a file.pdf.

In that case, you will have to click that link to get the CMS to resolve it to the actual server-side PDF file that will then appear in your browser, and that you can then save locally. Some of these CMS links actually have a directive (target="_blank") in the link that forces it to open in a new browser window or tab. These, you won't be able to right-click and download.

Aug 1, 2020 12:50 PM in response to VikingOSX

Ok, I changed my Magic Mouse settings and then could right click for the secondary menu. However, when I clicked on it, it still did the .pdf.xml thing.

I was afraid that link might not take you where I was, since I had to sign in to get to the page where I was trying to download. But, I went to a different page to try to download a different pdf and it worked! So it must be that CMS thing you were talking about.

I did end up opening each document (60 of them!) I needed from the original page and downloaded them. But now that my mouse is configured correctly, in the future I can do it the easier way on sites that allow it. Thank you so much!

When I save a pdf document from a link, it saves it as an xml file rather than pdf

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.