Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch Battery expanding plus COVID-19

I have an iPod Touch (about 2 years old) that I keep in my car and I pulled it out a few weeks ago to synch it with my computer (I ripped some music from CD's) and the screen was coming away from the the case. I texted with Apple Support and they told me to take it to Geek Squad at Best Buy given the stores are closed. I make an appointment for a week later and when I get there they tell me they don't service iPods, only iPhones (come on Apple!!). They guy takes one look and says "the battery is expanding...you've got to get rid of this iPod. If the stores where open, you could take it in and they would likely just replace it." I follow up with Apple about replacing it and they've said "no." I have owned while I am not an iPhone user, I have had MANY Apple products over the years and never had an issue like this. Two questions:

1) has anyone had this issue with multiple Apple devices? I am wondering the likelihood of this happening again if I buy a new iPod.

2) I would like to write a letter of complaint. Does anyone have the name of the head of customer service at HQ? While I know in the age of COVID, I am less likely to get a response, I want try before I go out and spend another $200 only to potentially have the same issue again.

Thanks!

iPod, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 1, 2020 11:10 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 1, 2020 7:33 PM in response to My57Vette

Leaving electronics in a car, especially in the summer, is a recipe for bad things. Lithium ion batteries can expand as they age. They don't all do this but it's not unheard of.

I'm not sure what country you live in but Apple Stores in many parts of the U.S. are open (I had my phone replaced last month) and Apple still has mail in service. Apple won't replace it for free as it's out of warranty but they may well offer you an out-of-warranty replacement (about half the cost of a new device).

Here is Apple's contact information:

Contact - How to Contact Us - Apple

However, other than being given some incorrect information about what Best Buy can do to help you, I don't see what Apple has done here that's wrong.

iPod Touch Battery expanding plus COVID-19

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.