Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipod 6 - Swelling batteries a recurring problem

I use my iPod to run an in-home music system. It is docked and in use all day. My last iPod had a swollen battery after 18 months causing the screen to separate. The one before that did the same thing only it lasted longer. Now I am on my 3rd one. I read a post where someone said they used theirs for the same application and had the same problem on three straight Ipod 6's after 18 months on each. What is causing this? It is it the continual use? Heat from being in an electronics closet with other equipment? And how do I get it repaired rather than continuing to buy new ones?

Posted on May 23, 2022 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2022 2:04 PM

Thank you. That makes sense. Using the iPod this way seems to be an 18 month proposition. I will disconnect it at night, which hopefully will at least extend the life. I can't use Spotify with the sound system (Nuvo Grand Concerto... company is gone) without leaving the iPod in the docking station.

3 replies

May 24, 2022 1:57 PM in response to KinTanTee

My understanding is that it is recommended that an iPod is not left on permanent charge. The iPod is not designed to be on charge all day. Quite the opposite in fact; it's a portable device designed for use away from a permanent power supply. That is, for a fully charged iPod to be run on its battery only, in order that the battery is correctly cycled (between full or near full power and low power).

Yes, you can use it in play mode while on a dock, even if fully charged, but repeated and extended use of it on a powered dock while fully charged is not the best idea.

The implication is that leaving it on external power when the battery is fully charged is bad for the battery and I believe that may possibly be the cause of your battery swelling issue.

I personally suggest that even if you unplug it from power at the end of the day, being on charge all day (but not all night for example) is still bad for the battery.

Ipod 6 - Swelling batteries a recurring problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.