Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail - 'Unable to verify account name or password'

Very, VERY annoying.. Second time it happens in a couple years.. I don't know if it is because of an update at client end or at the server end.. or what else.

My computer is a MacBook air 2011, I have always used Apple mail. One of my e-mail accounts, an MS Exchange account with the domain of my employer company stoped working a month ago and I cant get it to work back again.

The message I get is the one above 'Unable to verify account name or password'

Facts: the email works fine on my iPhone

I can login using webmail (password is ok)

What I did:

• Removed the account (Mail app and System pref.) and tried to add again.
  • Flushed DNS cache
  • removed all office/exchange certificates on my keychain
  • Created a new user on my computer and tried to login from that
  • Changed the password

Please let me know if someone have any idea.

thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 2, 2020 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 8:19 AM

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2020 8:19 AM in response to Gus_79

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar.

You may have duplicate or more entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but likely old passwords interfering.

There''ll be at least 2 entries, maybe more.

The trouble is that Mac Mail almost always chooses the old Passwords if you don't change or get rid of the old ones.

Aug 17, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Gus_79

Cant create re add Mail

James Walker1

User level:

Level 1

(129 points)

Notebooks

Speciality level out of ten: 0

Mar 1, 2019 10:39 AM in response to if240

I was having this problem trying to add a mail (not gmail) account just for Notes. In my ~/Library/Keychains folder, I found a subfolder with a long hexadecimal and hyphens name. I deleted that subfolder, logged out, and logged back in. I was then able to add the account, without having lost any passwords from my keychains.

Aug 14, 2020 5:52 AM in response to Gus_79

If I could guess, I would say that there is a problem with the comunication client-server. I tried flushing the DNS in the hope that the server had change the IP and my DNS cache was old. No luck. Now i'm more inclined to think it is something relate to the encryption of the information. I have to mention that I can access this account on my iPhone through the native iOS mail app

Apple Mail - 'Unable to verify account name or password'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.