Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How will power nap mode affect non-Apple applications?

I am using RStudio to run data analyses that sometimes take many hours to complete. I don't want my Mac (2018 MacBook Pro with Retina display running Catalina) to go to sleep while the analysis is in progress (often taking advantage of *me* going to sleep). For now, let's assume that the computer will be plugged in.

What happens to non-Apple applications in Power Nap mode? It is my impression that they will pause. I have the "Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off" option checked on the Energy Saver preferences panel. If I have the Power Nap option enabled as well, does this mean the computer will try to "take advantage" of Power Nap and put everything to sleep except the blessed Apple apps when the display is off? Should I uncheck Power Nap to keep my RStudio processes running?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 7:50 AM

How Power Nap works on your Mac - Apple Support explains actions that occur while your Mac is sleeping. It's not related to your concern.

I believe you are confusing Power Nap with App Nap (example below).

Similar questions

1 reply

How will power nap mode affect non-Apple applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.