Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic support for 32-bit float files

This is not so much a question as a comment on a prior thread RE: the need for Logic to support 32-bit float files.

There *is* an important use case for this needed feature. There are beginning to be 32-bit float recorders out there (Zoom F6 and SoundDevices MixPre II series among them), and I have found the feature to be more useful than might be initially obvious to us as audio engineers doing primarily music.

The dynamic range on these dual-A/D converter recorders when in 32-bit float mode allows one to record with essentially no concerns about noise floor (when recording at too low a level) or clipping (when recording too hot). It's quite remarkable, actually, and I believe this will eventually change our industry. This is especially useful when recording dialogue on-location: if someone suddenly shouts or laughs unexpectedly and it clips the input, it does not matter, because it doesn't *really* clip the resulting audio file. That is, an input could actually be recorded so hot as to render the resulting audio file to be flat as a pancake, and it can easily be recovered at the mix (or mastering) stage by simply reducing the gain digitally. No distortion. And it really does sound absolutely fine. Likewise when recording too low: you can bring up the resulting file with digital gain, and there is essentially no change in the noise floor whatsoever. As a recordist with 24 years of experience, I have never seen anything like this. It's truly remarkable.

But it won't work in Logic, because Logic can't handle the 32-bit float files. It still converts them to 24-bit, which does not allow the behavior I've described above.

So I hope Apple adds this needed feature and function soon.

Posted on Aug 3, 2020 10:52 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Aug 7, 2020 9:19 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich wrote:

First of all, Logic is WAY OVERDUE• with the implementation of importing 32bit float files without converting them to 24bit. I begged them for years.

Another thing is the confusion whenever the topic 32bit float is discussed:
Any AD or DA converter always has a fixed bit depth. 
• There is no floating point converter.
• There are some 32bit FIXED converters now available that people get confused with 32bit float
• Why the need for 32bit fixed, I don't understand (beyond bragging rights and marketing), but that is a different discussion.
• 32bit float is used for internal signal processing and as a file format (especially when delivering to Master Engineer)
• 32bit float (Single Precision) uses technically only 23bit for the encoding (Mantissa), 8 bits are for the exponent and 1bit for the sign bit
• Going to 64bit float (Double Precision) provides a 52bit Mantissa with 11bit for the exponent
• Virtually all DAWs now use 32bit float and/or 64bit float for processing and/or summing
• Logic lets you choose to use 32 or 64 for summing in the Preferences > Audio > Devices

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/35773403-a5e2-4b60-8fb6-d0ab2343db14

I'm really glad you pointed all that out, Edgar. You're absolutely right about the amount of confusion re: these things.

About the Zoom F6. 
I think it is really irresponsible from their marketing department to claim "The Zoom F6 is the first professional field recorder to feature both 32-bit float recording". The tricky part is the word "recording". What I guess they mean is, they save the recorded signal as a 32bit floating file (which is great). What they falsely imply (intentionally or unintentionally) is that their converters are 32-bit float. However, if you look at their spec sheet, it says 16bit or 24bit.

So if you clip the converter (above 0dBFS at 24bit fixed), then you have a clipped signal and saving it as a 32bit float file will not magically remove the clipping distortion (unless I'm missing something here).

Hope that helps,

Edgar Rothermich
Graphically Enhanced Manuals (GEM)
www.LogicProGEM.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/

The part you're missing here is that both the F6 and the Sound Devices MixPre II series really are recording (not just saving) 32-bit float files. They're doing it by (essentially) having 2 (or more) separate converters for each input. These two converters are able to dynamically work together in a multistage setup to cover a greater dynamic range than 24-bit fixed integer. The converter is not going to clip. Or at least, something else in the chain will clip/distort/break well before the converter, i.e. the microphone.

IIRC, Neumann did something similar to this with their Solution-D project years ago.

It's a clever approach. I think Sound Devices got a patent for their particular way of doing it.

Here's a brief description of how SD does it:

https://www.sounddevices.com/how-is-a-32-bit-float-file-recorded/

I'm not sure how the F6 differs in its method for achieving the goal, but I can testify that it does work.

Aug 4, 2020 12:32 PM in response to Wilddrums

Wilddrums wrote:

I understand that. Inside the DAW the bit depth is important.

My feeling is that 32 bits thing is more marketing for now. Why not 64 or 128 bits? Most of current 32 bits files are just 16 bits or 24 bits padded files.

In the real physical world this is another story. Anyways...

I believe Logic will be able to work with 32 bits files at some point in the future.

WD

Well, except it's not just marketing in the example I provided above. I recently bought an F6 for location work, and the feature works as advertised when in an application that can handle the 32-bit floating files (in my case, iZotope RX).

The dynamic range available to a 24-bit fixed file is 144dB.

The dynamic range of sound pressure on Earth is what, 210dB or so?

The dynamic range available to a 32-bit floating file is 1528dB.

So there will theoretically never be a need for greater bit depth than 32-bit when it comes to recorded files. Internal DAW math is obviously an entirely different issue.

Aug 8, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Mark the Williams

I tend to agree with Edgar on the Zoom F6, although it is a clever device.

The Zoom has 2 converters on each input, one to handle low level signal, the other to handle high level signal. Both of these converters are 24 bit but are dealing with their own range. The resulting combination is then stored as a 32 bit float file on the Zoom. It's a clever and highly useful design but their marketing speak doesn't give the whole picture of what's going on.

However you look at it, any overs that are not clipped by storing as a 32 bit float file will need to be brought back to fixed point legal values before final output to your detination format - no one is going to be playing your audio back through an F6 or DAW. I'm not knocking the Zoom F6, it's a clever and useful device again for unexpectedness. The zoom doesn't store everything as 32 bit float though and there is good reason for this. If you have a perfectly legal 24bit audio file which never goes into overload and clipping, saving it as a 32 bit float file will give you absolutely no advantage, in fact, it willproduce a vey slight loss. However, if you have an audio file that is within the floating point DAW (i.e. it has never been fixed point clipped), where you have no idea of the max levels within that file - then storing it away as a floating point file will at least give you the possibility of avoiding clipping when the file is restored again. The Zoom F6 accomodates this nicely by not forcing everything to 32 bit loat, i.e. what I think they call the 'Dual' mode.

Going back to Logic's inability to import 32 bit float files natively, I share a lot of people's frustrations at this. After all, it's processing them internally all in float anyway. It is bewildering.

This is a cool discussion.

Aug 6, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Mark the Williams

First of all, Logic is WAY OVERDUE with the implementation of importing 32bit float files without converting them to 24bit. I begged them for years.

Another thing is the confusion whenever the topic 32bit float is discussed:

• Any AD or DA converter always has a fixed bit depth. 
    • There is no floating point converter.
    • There are some 32bit FIXED converters now available that people get confused with 32bit float
    • Why the need for 32bit fixed, I don't understand (beyond bragging rights and marketing), but that is a different discussion.
    • 32bit float is used for internal signal processing and as a file format (especially when delivering to Master Engineer)
    • 32bit float (Single Precision) uses technically only 23bit for the encoding (Mantissa), 8 bits are for the exponent and 1bit for the sign bit
    • Going to 64bit float (Double Precision) provides a 52bit Mantissa with 11bit for the exponent
    • Virtually all DAWs now use 32bit float and/or 64bit float for processing and/or summing
    • Logic lets you choose to use 32 or 64 for summing in the Preferences > Audio > Devices

About the Zoom F6. 

I think it is really irresponsible from their marketing department to claim "The Zoom F6 is the first professional field recorder to feature both 32-bit float recording". The tricky part is the word "recording". What I guess they mean is, they save the recorded signal as a 32bit floating file (which is great). What they falsely imply (intentionally or unintentionally) is that their converters are 32-bit float. However, if you look at their spec sheet, it says 16bit or 24bit.

So if you clip the converter (above 0dBFS at 24bit fixed), then you have a clipped signal and saving it as a 32bit float file will not magically remove the clipping distortion (unless I'm missing something here).

Hope that helps,

Edgar Rothermich

Graphically Enhanced Manuals (GEM)

www.LogicProGEM.com

https://www.youtube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/

Aug 4, 2020 9:30 AM in response to Wilddrums

The weird things are:

1. Logic's Freeze-Files are 32-bit.

2. In Logic, you are able to export tracks as 32-bit files.

And just to consider, more and more hardware is able to handle 32-bit audio files. Many mastering studios ask for 32-bit audio these days.

It's an obvious question: why can't Logic play 32-bit files? Even QuickTime Player is able to play them.

Aug 4, 2020 9:50 AM in response to yoyoBen

I understand that. Inside the DAW the bit depth is important.

My feeling is that 32 bits thing is more marketing for now. Why not 64 or 128 bits? Most of current 32 bits files are just 16 bits or 24 bits padded files.

In the real physical world this is another story. Anyways...

I believe Logic will be able to work with 32 bits files at some point in the future.

WD

Aug 4, 2020 12:16 PM in response to yoyoBen

yoyoBen wrote:

The weird things are:
1. Logic's Freeze-Files are 32-bit.
2. In Logic, you are able to export tracks as 32-bit files.

And just to consider, more and more hardware is able to handle 32-bit audio files. Many mastering studios ask for 32-bit audio these days.

It's an obvious question: why can't Logic play 32-bit files? Even QuickTime Player is able to play them.

Yes, and even FCPX can play 32-bit files and recover too-low or too-hot information. Logic really needs to be able to do this, too. Adobe Audition can do it, Reaper can do it...

Aug 5, 2020 3:11 AM in response to Mark the Williams

It's always worth baring in mind that 32 bit float is not, and was never meant to be, a destination or output format.

As you say, it's really good for accidents and unexpectedness in location situations and transfering audio unscathed from one platform to another but any peaks exceeding 0dbfs need to be brought back under control before outputing to a general playable format (i.e. fixed bit depth).

I also agree it's a useful format and it would be massively useful if Logic could import 32 bit float files natively. Accidents and unexpectedness aside, it shouldn't be an excuse to forget about proper gain staging which is still a big part of getting a fantastic recording and mix. All the great recording and mix engineers talk a lot about good gain staging.

Aug 5, 2020 5:22 PM in response to octopi

octopi wrote:

It's always worth baring in mind that 32 bit float is not, and was never meant to be, a destination or output format.

As you say, it's really good for accidents and unexpectedness in location situations and transfering audio unscathed from one platform to another but any peaks exceeding 0dbfs need to be brought back under control before outputing to a general playable format (i.e. fixed bit depth).

I also agree it's a useful format and it would be massively useful if Logic could import 32 bit float files natively. Accidents and unexpectedness aside, it shouldn't be an excuse to forget about proper gain staging which is still a big part of getting a fantastic recording and mix. All the great recording and mix engineers talk a lot about good gain staging.

Beautifully said, @octopi.

Indeed, 32-bit float is almost more of a container that allows audio to travel to its destination without worry of getting "broken" while in the container.

Logic support for 32-bit float files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.